Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Launch Cisco Anyconnect version 4.6

macgyver0099_1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We seem to be having a problem with starting up version 4.6 of Cisco Anyconnect.  Specifically, when we click on the icon for it on one of our Windows 7 laptops, nothing happens.  I checked on the Internet for a solution, but similar problems state that when Anyconnect is started, the program doesn't launch, but an icon is also created in the system tray.  I was able to recreate the problem on another Windows 10 laptop, and I see the icon as well as saw it's presence in Task Manager.  I was able to resolve that matter by using the compatibility troubleshooter (the Internet makes another suggestion, which I didn't get around to using) after uninstalling and re-installing Anyconnect.  That solution did not work with the Windows 7 machine. 

I can get Anyconnect to work on the machine, temporarily, when I disconnect the wired connection and connect to the downstairs wired network (technically on a different network), uninstalling Anyconnect from the machine, rebooting, re-installing Anyconnect, and rebooting again.  User's are then able to VPN into the network until the next reboot on the machine.

Troubleshooting steps:

* Ran the compatibility troubleshooter

* Rebooted several times

* Uninstalled/reinstalled the application

* Made sure all associated files were removed prior to re-installing the application.

* Flushed DNS, Defragmented the hard drive, and ran a disk cleanup

* Verified Anyconnect was present and checked via Msconfig.exe

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

macgyver0099_1
Level 1
Level 1

I found a solution for this. It turned out that by running the program in compatibility mode and then physically selecting "Windows 7" as the OS to use, vpn successfully loaded again.

View solution in original post

Bob.from.IT
Level 1
Level 1

I had this problem too with 4.6.03049 on Windows 10. After I uninstalled AnyConnect I noticed a left-over folder "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client" folder under "AppData\Local\Cisco\". This folder contained "preferences.xml". So uninstall AnyConnect, delete the XML prefs file "AppData\Local\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\preferences.xml", and reinstall. My AnyConnect now launches when clicked. 

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

macgyver0099_1
Level 1
Level 1

I found a solution for this. It turned out that by running the program in compatibility mode and then physically selecting "Windows 7" as the OS to use, vpn successfully loaded again.

We were on 4.5.05030 and things were fine.  Now that we went to 4.6.03049 we have this issue too.  Not all PC's, but some.  Win 7 on one I just worked on.  No solution.  The compatibility mode thing didn't help. Rolling back the client works fine every time, but then if you upgrade again, nothing works.  It does seem to work the first launch but not after that.  And, if you kill the service and the process over and over again, you may very rarely randomly get it to work.   We're just going to go back to the 4.5.05030 client until Cisco figures something out at this point.

Thanks for posting this, it's driving us crazy here as well. Experiencing it with an older 4.6.02074 as well, so your post suggests an upgrade probably won't fix it.

Bob.from.IT
Level 1
Level 1

I had this problem too with 4.6.03049 on Windows 10. After I uninstalled AnyConnect I noticed a left-over folder "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client" folder under "AppData\Local\Cisco\". This folder contained "preferences.xml". So uninstall AnyConnect, delete the XML prefs file "AppData\Local\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\preferences.xml", and reinstall. My AnyConnect now launches when clicked. 

Thanks. Been battling this issue for a while now and this helped.

Worked for me. Thank you.

ChangLi393945
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I tried all the methods I could find on the internet but none of them work. Until I found this one:

https://superuser.com/questions/649614/connect-using-anyconnect-from-command-line

sudo printf 'USERNAME\nPASSWORD\ny' | /opt/cisco/anyconnect/bin/vpn -s connect HOST

I am using MacOS Catalina. After executing the above line in the terminal, it automatically downloaded some

modules and everything works fine then.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: