cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Change management IP on Catalyst 3560 - will it kill network traffic?

Hello, I have about 5 Catalyst 3560 switches on a subnet. I can log into them via web interface and go to "Configure --> Express Setup". Can I change the IP address (and the host name) in there without worrying about devices connected to it loosing connectivity, or affecting any trunk ports/flow control/etc? The Management Interfaces are all set to default VLAN ID 1, so I'm assuming this IP is OK to change without affecting the traffic that passes through it, but not positive. The IP address I am changing it to will be on the same subnet they are currently on, so I am aware I'll need to change the IP address in my address/URL but other than that I'm not sure of the repercussions. Sorry if this question is in the wrong spot.

2 Replies 2

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

None of the data ports traverse the management interface so you can change the management IP without causing any disruption to the users.

Hope it helps.

Story checks out. Thanks Collin!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: