Views
Helpful
Replies

Changed my pre-shared-key, vpn doesn't work now

administrator
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I recently finished setting up remote access vpn on my asa 5510.  software is v8.2.  It was working fine, I was able to connect, able to ping anything internally on our network, rdp worked, etc.  I gave the pcf file to another person in our IT department to test with me before we rolled it out to our users.  He then called me to ask for the pre-shared-key cause he wanted to set it up on his ipad.  I then realized I never made a note anywhere of what pre-shared-key I used.   

So I changed it.  Removed the old one in the cli, made a new one.  Changed the key on my vpn client, and connected.  I can connect just fine.  But, now I can't do ANYTHING internally.  Ping doesn't work, rdp, nothing.  I can't even ping the connected client from the asa.  Is there something else I need to do?  Do I need to re-do everything because changing it broke encryption or something? 

Please help, thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

shine pothen
Level 3
Level 3

Try to redo the only the tunnel group configuration.
And the it should be fine

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I dont see why changing the PSK in the configuration and in the PCF would affect what is allowed through the VPN connection. Its a pretty common problem sometimes when configuring L2L VPN that you are either sent the wrong PSK or your misstype it and have to change it in the configuration. This has never caused problems for me.

Perhaps something else than the PSK was also changed during this? Have you gone through the configurations for anything else that would have changed from the original setup?

If the PSK is lost again, remember that you can view the PSK in the ASA configuration

You can use this command

more system:running-config

It will show the running configuration and reveal the actual PSK used in the VPN configuration.

- Jouni

As far as I know nothing else changed.  I'm contemplating at this point just totally redoing it.  I can't find the problem. 

andduart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If you have a backup config you can compare it otherwise maybe there were some click problems with asdm changing policies... This s very common... If you still has issues you can let us know to check the problem and troubleshoot

Regards,

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

shine pothen
Level 3
Level 3

Try to redo the only the tunnel group configuration.
And the it should be fine

Thanks, redoing it worked.

Good to hear that it worked :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: