cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco SNMP incompatibility: dot1qVlanForbiddenEgressPorts

alfred_steffens
Level 1
Level 1

We have a new Cisco SG500X-24 as a candidate for replacing a Dell 5324.  Our C++ application programs the switch VLAN membership for dot1qVlanForbiddenEgressPorts, dot1qVlanStaticUntaggedPorts, and others.  I have found that the Cisco switch requires a different format for the membership bit mask in the SNMPSET command.  For example, the existing switch obeys the command

snmpset -v2c -c <community> <ip:port> 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.4.3.1.3.<vlan> x "DD D7 F0"

but the Cisco switch requires

snmpset -v2c -c <community> <ip:port> 1.3.6.1.2.1.17.7.1.4.3.1.3.<vlan> x "00 00 00 00 00 00 DD D7 F0 00"

Notice the leading 6 bytes in the bit mask string.  Is this an issue of Cisco using a proprietary implementation, conforming to a more recent RFC, or is it possible I can change a mode setting on the switch to make the SNMP command obey the one shown first?

3 Replies 3

Hello,

the SG500 series is kind of a stripped down version of the higher end switches (which cost a lot more obviously). I wonder if you get the same with a 'real' Cisco higher end Catalyst switch. Do you have the possibility to test on one ?

No, I've got only this single switch to work with.

Hello,

I'll try and lab this, will get back with you...