Replies

cisco vpn client and error 422

FALCONSEYE
Level 1
Level 1

When I try to connect to the cisco vpn client, I get this error:

secure  vpn: connection terminated locally by the client
reason:422 failed  to enable virtual adapter

I googled this error, and several sites  suggested uninstalling/reinstalling cisco vpn client. That didn't help. 
Btw, I see the Cisco VPN Adapter under my network connections.  

Couple  other sites suggest disabling internet connection sharing on vista.  This is a windows xp machine with sp3. In my LAN properties, the  "internet connection sharing" checkbox is unchecked. 

There are  couple firewalls, which I disabled. Still no luck.

I had a pc  problem couple weeks ago, and I had to reinstall everything from  scratch. I didn't receive this error before.
How can I resolve this  issue?

Thanks in advance.

20 Replies 20

I really appreciate you keeping up with this problem.

Your last test is using a wired connection to the cable modem and you  are able to access the Internet outside of the VPN client?

Yes, the cable modem was hooked up right to the pc without any wireless equipment that I am using (dLink dir-655 and dLink dap-1522). I can browse the internet without any problems.

I have mcAfee and windows firewall turned on at the moment. However, I did turned them off to try if this thing worked. I will uninstall mcAfee and uninstall/install cisco vpn.

You may also want to try a newer version of the VPN client if you are  not already using the newest version, just to rule out a problem in an  older version of code.  I don't see any bugs related to virtual adapter  problems in XP, but maybe someone using the combination of SP3 with an  older version of the VPN client has not reported this problem.

The cisco vpn software comes from work. They don't have an updated version of this thing. I know my version is 4.8.xxxx and there is 5.0.xxx versions out there.

If this is a laptop, have you tried connecting with VPN at another  location, just to rule out a problem with your Internet connection?

This is not a laptop. I will take my work laptop to home and try with that instea and see what happens.

Thanks for the url. One thing I realized is every single time I uninstalled/reinstalled the vpn client, it somehow remembered my connection settings. Not sure if it's saved somewhere in the windows registry keys.

We skipped 4.8 because we had problems with it (going to the VPN concentrator).  We had much better luck with 5.0.  I understand and appreciate that your company has to standardize on one version.  If you can try 5.0 I think it is a lot better code.  The only thing we noticed is that it seemed more sensitive to a bad Internet connection than the older versions we used.

Have others at your company upgraded to SP3 and successfully used the 4.8 VPN client?  Is this your home PC?

I have to ask around and see if anybody else is using windows xp pro with sp3. This is a home/work pc.

If/when you reinitialize your TCP/IP stack on your NIC, please use the following procedure.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

brian.duncan
Level 1
Level 1

I too was having this problem, XP SP3, Mcaffee Virus...I tried everything listed here without any result, however I found that uninstalling the Mcafee virus software fixed the problem.  This computer was a Dell netbook so we will be rolling out the corporate virus software anyway. .

drh916
Level 1
Level 1

I had the very same problem.  I performed a fresh install of XP Pro due to a hard drive crash. I installed McAfee internet security and then the Cisco VPN client. VPN client could not get pass "Securing communications channel". Errored out with 442 code. failed to enable virtual adapter. Tried different versions of VPN Client with no luck. Did a complete uninstall of McAfee and VPN now works.