cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN Client and IBM Client Access compatibility

rbostwick
Level 1
Level 1

I am using 3005 VPN Concentrators and all MS Win2K clients. They have various versions of the VPN Client

installed ( 3.63 - 4.05 ). All our client using IBM Client Access 4.3 and above for a 5250 client connection to an AS/400 Host.

On about a dozen or so of the clients they are experiencing a disconnect after an idle period in Client Access. This happens when they are on the VPN or on the LAN .

I have tested with several versions of both CLient Access and the VPN Client. I have also tried adjusting the MTUs on the VPN CLient.

None of these fixes the problem. Any suggecions would be appreciated .

Thanks,

rbostwick@solarcom.com

6 Replies 6

ehirsel
Level 6
Level 6

Is there a pix or some other firewall between the as/400 and the users, even when the users are on the LAN? If it is a pix, the default idle timeout is set to 1 hour - if the IBM CA has a higer timeout or if the CA does not issue keepalives, then the pix will terminate the connection to the client by sending a tcp frame with the reset bit. The pix will not send one as soon as the timer expires, but instead will wait until traffic arrives.

No firewall exist on the Lan, between the users and AS/400. The problem has only occurred on about 5% of users with Cisco VPN Client installed.

I am testing the option of disabling the Stateful Firewall Option on the VPN Client. This seems the most promising at the moment.

jzsides
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have the stateful firewall turned on in the VPN client? I had the same problem, so I disabled the firewall and removed the split tunnel configuration.

It may not be an option for you, but it worked for me.

By default we have enabled the Stateful Firewall option on all the Cisco VPN Clients. It seems that this causes a timeout issue with some Network applicaions, such as IBM Client Access.

I disabled the option on a few clients and so far it has worked. I have some users that even have the problem while on a VPN connection over a Pix 501 configured with the Easy VPN.

If they have the Cisco Client installed, it will time out their AS/400 connection when idle for more then 15 minutes.

Disabling the Stateful is not a problem, but it seems

there is no reasoning I can find for the problem, unless the AS/400 using ICMP for a sort of keepalive

function.

I'm not sure why the Cisco Stateful firewall causes problems with client access. Client access works fine through every other firewall I have used (both hardware and software).

Have you thought about using the SSL option instead of the vpn? It requires OS/400 V4R4 or later and Client Access V4R4 or later.

This URL: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008015cfdc.html

Depicts the vpnclient.ini settings to control the vpn client behavior. One of these is StatefulFirewallAllowICMP and the default value is 0 (disabled). Add that parm to the .ini file and set it to 1.

Also enable logging on the vpn client, and set the firewall log to 3 (the highest). Do this as well as setting the allow icmp to 1, and if the clients are having an issue, the log file should contain some meaningful messages - if so post them here.