cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN Client Release 5.0.06, Windows 7 3G not supported | Is there a workaround?

Jeff.Hofmann
Level 1
Level 1

I can successfully connect, but cannot ping devices over the Cisco VPN client using 3g on Windows 7. The Cisco VPN client works fine over ethernet or wifi, just not 3G/EDGE/HSDPA. I have tried connecting via AT&T and T-MOBILE.

The release notes for Cisco VPN Client 5.0.06 state: The VPN Client on Windows 7 does not support WWAN devices (also called wireless data cards).

Is there a workaround in order to reach devices over VPN using 3g on windows 7?

32 Replies 32

The AnyConnect client will work over wireless cards.  Its the simplest solution I've found.

The problem arises when you are using the native IPSEC NDIS driver to tunnel packets. SSL solutions will work the packets are modified above the network stack.

Thanks,

Shawn

apothula
Level 1
Level 1

You can try using TCP transport for the VPN client connections.

I have seen cases in which this works.

On the ASA use the command,

crypto isakmp ipsec-over-tcp "port" ; ex crypto isakmp ipsec-over-tcp 10000

and on the VPN client for the connection entry you are trying, right click, properties, transport , check IPSec over TCP and put in the port number given in the command above.

Let me know if this works.

This is not a solution, it is a work around that has worked for me in a few cases.

Cheers,

Nash,

Hi Avinash,

Would configuring the above cause too much overhead on the appliance?

Did you face the same situation, where you've configured ipsec over tcp?

Thanks.

I don't think overhead should be a problem.

Nash

Hello all,

my solution for this problem is I update the DNE software component of the vpn client after I installed the vpn client on Windows 7. Citrix provide an update on its website. I have this tested with Windows 7 32/62bit and it works.
Attention! I don't know is this a supported way from Cisco!

best regards

schmidtiii_novice

Just wanted to confirm that this workarround works great. Thanks for the tip Martin.

roger.aas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

It was nice to find this info. I had the same problem, and used too much time changing the router config before realising the problem was on my end.

I can in addition give another "workaround" to the problem: Using a virtual machine on the host computer that has the WWAN connection will also work because the virtual guest will not directly use the WWAN interface.

Roger/Atea

kamer.akin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Just install one of these according to your OS. Problem will be fixed.

ftp://files.citrix.com/dneupdate.msi for 32-bit

ftp://files.citrix.com/dneupdate64.msi for 64-bit

Kamer

Still doesn't work for me after installing dneupdate64.msi. Is there after installation something to do to make it works ?

Philippe

No i didnt even restart the notebook. ?  What is the 3G chipset?  I made it worked with Sony Z series and Toshiba R700

Cisco VPN Client Release 5.0.06, Windows 7 3G not supported | Is there a workaround?

Thanks a lot Kamer for posting those links. I installed the 32 bit version for the VPN client problem on my Windows 7(using the 3G broadband card for internet) and it magically fixed the issue after the restart. It was of great help

Anoop

Kamer's fix worked for me using Orange/T-Mobile in the UK

Huge thank you - it was an issue for my boss who is now happy

Worked for me too.

TO2 CZ/Win7 64bit

Before applying I've connected (everything looked fine), but no traffic to the network.

After applying everything works well.

Huge thanks.

Kamer's resolution resolved my issues running Windows 7 64-bit, Cisco VPN Client version 5.0.07.0440 with a US Cellular Huawei E397Bu-502.  Same issue as everyone else, VPN would connect but could not get traffic to flow.  Once I applied the "fix" & restarted the workstation, everything worked as expected.  Thank You!!