Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN Client split DNS

rudakiewicz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Please can someone advise, is there a way to view the internal DNS domain names pushed to my Cisco VPN client (v5.0.07.0290) running on Windows 7 PC, used to evaluate which DNS service to forward my DNS resolution request to?

Thank you,

Best Regards - Colin

6 Replies 6

Muhammed Safwan
Level 1
Level 1

On the windows 7 command line enter ipconfig /all and check for Cisco Systems VPN Adapter, it will show the dns suffix and dns servers.

With Regards,

Safwan

Hi Safwan,

I think that Cisco also push a list of DNS domain names to the Cisco client, I think the Cisco VPN client forwards requests for these domains onto the DNS servers associated with the VPN adapter for resolution, do you know how I can view the list of DNS domains on my PC?

Thanks,

Best Regards – Colin

Connection-specific DNS Suffix = DNS Domain. As I mentioned in the previous post you can see the connection-specific DNS Suffix in the output of ipconfig /all

With Regards,

Safwan

:

Hi Safwan,

My DNS suffix list has several entries that are the same .fs.fujitsu.com. It appears that using nslookup that my ISP LAN connection DNS servers are used to resolve names and if that fails the DNS servers associated with VPN adapter are checked, as it does resolve fss.icl.co.uk which is not in my DNS suffix list. So I'm a bit confused is this really split DNS or is it just trying DNS servers (by adapter binding order) in succession until one gives an answer?

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

fs.fujitsu.com

Best Regards - Colin

No its not based on the adapter binding order.If you are pushing domain example.com and dns server 10.10.10.10 to vpn client. Then whenever vpn client to want to resolve anything with domain name example.com will be forwarded to the dns server 10.10.10.10. but please make sure to configure the dns servers and split-dns in the VPN Group-policy

With Regards,

Safwan

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Also if you are trying to resolve, lets say intranet that will be treated as intranet.example.com and will be resolved from 10.10.10.10. and this DNS Suffix will have more priority than local dns configured on client machine.

with Regards,

Safwan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: