Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN version 5.0.07.0440 - failed connection

MpacanaJr_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

For quite some time now, we have been experiencing an issue with the Cisco VPN client that will make the client completely unusable. I have noticed that when a specific feature of Symantec Endpoint Protection is enabled, it will (about 25% of the time) cause the following errors to appear when attempting to connect anywhere with the Cisco VPN client. Once this error happens once, the VPN client then becomes useless.

Error #1

Reason 414: Failed to establish a TCP connection

Error #2

Reason 440: Driver Failure

Error #3

Reason 442: Failed to enable virtual adapter

It seems that fixing one error will cause the other error to come up...

I have tried reinstalling the client with the same version and older versions and the issue still comes up.

All users in the company are using Windows 7 64-bit with SP1 installed.

The oddest thing about this is that all employees in the company have the same antivirus with the same features enabled, however, it only happens to a small percentage of employees.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions and thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

Parminder Sian
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Manrico,

The first and most important step to resolve this issue is to reinstall VPN client. During installation make sure no firewalls and antivirus programmes are running or even installed on your system.

In the following doc you can see few other errors those are related to firewalls and Antivirus software :-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_qanda_item09186a00801c2dbe.shtml

Let us know how it goes.

Sian

thomas_symantec
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Manrico,

Are the all the systems using the same firewall policy. It could be one of the rules configured in the SEP client. What build version are you running? Are all systems using the same version of VPN client? As Parminder stated, you should disable the firewall and check behavior.

If the firewall is found to be the cause, you can troubleshoot by adding an "Allow All" rule to the top of the SEP policy. Moving the rule down one line at a time until the problem occurs again. Once that happens, you will have narrowed it down to the rule just above.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Best,

Thomas

MpacanaJr_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Parminder,

I have uninstalled VPN, removed the Antivirus and turned off Windows Firewall. I then reinstalled VPN and am receiving a "Reason 440: Driver Failure" error again.

Thomas - Yes, everyone is using the same firewall policies. All systems are using the same VPN client.

Thanks in advance for your help guys!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: