cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover VPN problem...

wilann0001
Level 1
Level 1

I am hoping to get some help with an ongoing problem I have been having regarding a l2l VPN connection between our ASA 5510 and a client's ASA 5505. The client's main ISP is Comcast and he uses a secondary AT&T internet connection as a failover. When Comcast goes down, AT&T comes up and everything works great...except for the VPN to our ASA5510. I have not been able to get the VPN connection to work on the failover network. I have set up a separate, "Backup_WAN", interface in the firewall for AT&T. All of the same rules are in place for AT&T as there are for the primary Comcast connection (the VPN for Comcast works just fine) but I still cannot get the VPN to work with the failover.

What am I missing? Does anyone have any idea why the VPN would not be working? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as this has been an unresolved issue since late 2012. Thanks so much in advance.

11 Replies 11

Dear William,

Have you checked this link:

ASA/PIX 7.x: Redundant or Backup ISP Links Configuration Example

Besides the routing changes, you need to enable ISAKMP and the crypto map on both interfaces.

I would recommend to use to different crypto maps on the ASA which has two Internet connections.

HTH.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I had seen that link before and I have successfully set up everything except for the VPN. The internet and email both failover just fine, the VPN is the problem. ISAKMP is enabled on both the outside and the backup interfaces and I have separate crypto map entries for each interface.

William,

Please run debugs to understand the issue:

debug crypto ikev1 190

debug crypto ipsec 190

*In case you are running 8.3 or 8.2:

debug crypto isakmp 190

Thanks.

Sorry for the dumb question, but where do I run those debug commands? When I try from CLI I get the message, "Debug Commands not supported in CLI"...

No worries.

Are you trying these commands on the ASA?

Thanks.

Yes on the ASA through Command Line Interface.

Edit: Using ASDM

That's the reason why, you need connect to the ASA via SSH or Telnet.

You could use Putty or any other terminal client.

PIX/ASA 7.x: SSH/Telnet on the Inside and Outside Interface Configuration Example

HTH.

Thanks for your help. I have connected to the ASA through Putty and am typing the command

debug crypto ikev1 190 and keep receiving the error below.

Type in "enable", hit enter and then issue the command.

Thanks.

Thank you, I figured it was just something simple like that.

There is quite a bit of output from the debug command, is there anything in particular that I should be looking for?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this failover VPN to work?

Thank you