cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Feature to extend an AnyConnect VPN session?

spudboy
Level 1
Level 1

Sometimes I'm using our VPN near the end of the 24-hour limit, and it warns me that it's about to run out. Then it cuts the connection suddenly and interrupts my work. There is no option to continue. It would be much better if there were a button to extend the session. 

I understand that unused sessions need to be culled, but the requirement to click a button would mean that it would get extended only for people who are actively using it.  My organization (understandably) does not want to increase the global timeout.

If this feature does not exist, could this message be recorded as a "feature request"?

Thanks very much!

-Jonathan

6 Replies 6

under any connect profile there is auto reconnect feature, check this feature.

9dGlT.jpg

Thank you for your quick suggestion for a work-around.

First, I wasn't clear that I'm only a VPN user. It looks like this feature must be enabled by an administrator.

Second, I suspect that auto-reconnect is already enabled for me. At least, I usually get several Windows notifications per day that say "Cisco VPN connecting" and "Re-connected." (My home internet connection may be somewhat flaky.) 

I'm just looking for a way to extend my VPN session when it reaches the 24-hr timeout limit.

Ask IT to config session-time only for you using user attribute as shown below.

other user will not effect this change.

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 2.09.33 AM.png

Not helpful.

Govt client contract states that VPN session must automatically timeout after 24 hours.  There is no explicit contract language forbidding a user connected via VPN client from manually extending / refreshing / renewing their VPN session.  Ivanti client allows an active VPN session to be extended by 24 hours.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is the only thing that can be done, ask for a Feature request to BU, and pray for it.

Then it cuts the connection suddenly and interrupts my work

we all know this is the limitation, if that is the case I generally use a Jump box at work for any critical work so you will not see this issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

That is the only thing that can be done, ask for a Feature request to BU, and pray for it.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're suggesting something like this answer:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/other-security-subjects/product-enhancement-request-per/m-p/3903999/highlight/true#M149092

I will contact the VPN team at my university and ask if they will help me with that.

I generally use a Jump box at work for any critical work so you will not see this issue.

Thanks for the suggestion- I will look into that as well.

Much appreciated,

-Jonathan