Views
Helpful
Replies

FTD Client VPN no longer works after enabling Umbrella SIG

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Hello

We had a very nice Client VPN solution on our FTD 2100 to allow our users to connect with AnyConnect. Then came along Umbrella SIG ... and now we have no more VPN. The https connection to the VPN also doesn't work. But we can still ping the address.

On the bright side, SIG works.

There were some Policy changes made to allow the Umbrella "bypass" (I don't fully get my head around it)

Any clues on whether these two features should co-exist? 

regards

Arne

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Finally solved the mystery. I had to add rule 2 below, which was to block the outside interface's IP address (public IP address) of the VPN service. Hey presto!

The Umbrella_Bypass_IPs Network Group contains all the Umbrella IP addresses and SIG IP's (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220, 146.112.0.0/16, 155.190.0.0/18 )

umbrella.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I haven't done a SIG deployment yet but there are a couple of caveats noted in the Umbrella documentation. I see them listed on this page:

https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/230561147-Umbrella-Roaming-Client-VPNs-and-VPN-Compatibility

Thanks Marvin. Before we implemented SIG we had no issues with VPN even with laptops that had umbrella roaming client and/AnyConnect with Umbrella module. That’s not the issue. 

The issue is that the FTD that was hosting our VPN is broken ever since we enabled SIG. VPN not responding.  We only have one private IPv4 address for the outside interface. I was wondering what could have broken the VPN? Can’t see where in the FMC I can monitor the AnyConnect connection attempts or even the attempts to the VPN https address of the FTD?

Regards. 

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hmm. you can can check if the FTD is "listening " for SSL VPN clients with "show asp table socket". You should see something like this:

> show asp table socket
Protocol   Socket    State      Local Address                                Foreign Address
SSL        0000f3b8  LISTEN     192.168.0.206:443                            0.0.0.0:*                                    
DTLS      000163b8  LISTEN     192.168.0.206:443                            0.0.0.0:*                                    
>

You can also setup more detailed logging under the platform settings in FMC (Devices > Platform Settings > Syslog > Logging Setup > VPN Logging Settings) and tell your FTD to log VPN events at informational (or even debug) level to FMC. You will then get the VPN-related syslog messages under the Devices > VPN > Troubleshooting menu.

thanks @Marvin Rhoads - I will have a look when I am back in the office.

@Marvin Rhoads - I see the asp table output is showing the correct data. Thanks for that handy command.

I didn't get far with the Syslog part. When I select Devices > Platform Settings  in the FMC I only see this, and I can't figure out where those commands go?  FMC 6.6.1 (build 91)

FMC.png

rschlayer
Level 4
Level 4

Did you whitelist your company public IPs in SIG?

@rschlayer - do you have an example of how one would do that?

I'm still looking for a SIG deployment guide on the FTD that makes sense. I think I have scoured the net only to find a lot of good documents on ASA - but not FTD. I didn't deploy this myself - I am trying to make sense of it all still ..

Arne Bier
VIP
VIP

Finally solved the mystery. I had to add rule 2 below, which was to block the outside interface's IP address (public IP address) of the VPN service. Hey presto!

The Umbrella_Bypass_IPs Network Group contains all the Umbrella IP addresses and SIG IP's (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220, 146.112.0.0/16, 155.190.0.0/18 )

umbrella.png