Views
Helpful
Replies

HA DMVPN with EIGRP

Xavier Lloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm having an issue with an EIGRP config I'm doing in a lab for a customer. They want to be able to do dynamic branch tunnels and also have 2 service providers at each location. The setup has 3 hubs, 2 at the data center and 1 at the disaster recovery site. Every location has 2 ISPs and the customer wants the DMVPN to be able to establish tunnels over either SP to any other SP.

The config I'm doing has 4 tunnels on each router.

Tunnel 1 - facilitate communication SP1 at the hub to SP1 at the branch

Tunnel 2 - facilitate communication SP2 at the hub to SP2 at the branch

Tunnel 3 - facilitate communication SP1 at the hub to SP2 at the branch

Tunnel 4 - facilitate communication SP2 at the hub to SP1 at the branch

The problem I'm finding is this though (and this also happened when I was only using the first 2 tunnels, ie VPN only over common SPs) - when I shutdown the SP1 interface on the hub, communication fails over nicely to SP2. However, when I do a no shutdown to bring back up the SP1 interface, the tunnel doesn't fail back over. When I do a show dmvpn, that particular tunnel is stuck in NHRP state. The debugs don't show anything useful but once I do a clear crypto session on the  branch, everything works properly. Could this be a bug or a config error? I've attached the configs I'm using. Forgive me if they're a bit tricky to understand.

Right now, R1 and R2 are the hubs and R3 and R6 are the branches.

Thanks

Xavier

5 Replies 5

Xavier Lloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone able to assist with this?

Xavier,

- isakmp keepalives missinig

- check tunnel route-via, but better yet pack one of the SPs into VRF (vrf-lite) and have two default routes.

Other things, not related:

- MTU/MSS missing

- holdtime 30 - that's a bit short, you're going to kill scalability.

- Using phase3 and phase 2 design at the same time? I guess not intended?

- If you want this to scale nicely, use BGP

For the rest, hard to say, needs debugging, checking of routing during failing back to original.

M.

EIGRP neighbor relationships don't even establish because the tunnels don't come back up. I will add isakmp keepalives and test again. If that doesn't work I'll try vrf-lite as you suggested, but I've had trouble setting that up in the past.

The config has come some distance since this one I posted here in terms of hold time and MTU.

For using phase 2 and 3 at the same time, I just did a bit more reading and saw that phase 3 doesn't use the "no ip eigrp AS next-hop-self". Is this the only thing I need to change to make it strictly phase 3?

Check out tunnel route-via

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t11/ht_trsel.html#wp1069843

it has some recent bugs but for the rest it's a simple way of doing vrf-lite (I'm not a big fan of this feature, it's makes troubleshooting hard).

In phase 3 design we rely on summaries sent by hub devices, while not required they make a few things easy (like routing config on interfaces), but introduce problems of their own. To answer your question - that's about right ;-)

M.

Great! I got this working. Not sure what the issue was. The thing is, I was using GNS3 and I had a router with a switch card acting as both SP clouds. When I tried configuring the route tracking, it wasn't behaving. I since switched it from the router-switch to a router connected to 2 of the dumb switches and route tracking started behaving properly. The failover and everything works perfectly now.

I also cleaned up some of the tunnel config so I don't know if that's actually what fixed it.

One more question though. I just discovered that the customer has no data license so there's no clean automatic failover using floating static routes. Can I get this clean failover using VRFs without route tracking or will I still need it?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: