Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure traffic shaping on the DMVPN spoke end with higher bandwidth

ciscoprolin
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

we have the unusual situation that on of our DMVPN Spoke Sites has a higher bandwidth rate (33 Mbit/s) than our

DMVPN Hub Site.

Therefore, we need to apply traffic shaping to 10 Mbit/s on the tunnel interface on the spoke.

The following link only describes how to apply shaping on the hub end but not on the spoke end site:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/sec_secure_connectivity/configuration/guide/sec_per_tunnel_qos.pdf

How should we proceed with this on the spoke router ?

Will creating a service policy and then applying it to the tunnel interface do the job ? Will shaping be done then after the traffic encryption or before ?

And would we then need to increase the replay window-size buffer of 1024 to something higher ?

Would the following example work ? We would apply the Policy outbound to the Tunnel interface:

class-map match-any CLASS_ANY
 match any 

policy-map POLICY_SHAPE10MEG
 class CLASS_ANY
  shape average 10000000

interface Tunnel 0
service-policy output POLICY_SHAPE10MEG

Thanks for your help,

Thorsten

16 Replies 16

I don't understand. I agree that the hub to spoke policy map is working but I don't seen the spoke to hub policy map working..

This is an old post and possibly you found your solution. In any case for everyone else:

The per-tunnel qos applied on DMVPN hub interface just does that: Applies egress policies from the hub towards the spokes.

It does nothing for the opposite direction.

You must apply a seperate policy in the spoke side for egress traffic towards the hub.