Views
Helpful
Replies

How to load share a Site to Site VPN ?

p.tavan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a site-to-site VPN between two routers 1841, with on each, 2 ADSL subscriptions, with 2 IP Addresses, and I have to load share the two tunnels, in order to double the bandwidth : is it possible and if yes, how to do it ?

I need help, thank you !

Patrice

3 Replies 3

aghaznavi
Level 5
Level 5

Load sharing distributes traffic so that no individual router is overburdened. In a Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) Virtual Private Network (VPN) network, you can achieve load sharing through the following methods:

BGP multipath options

Directly connected loopback peering

puagarwa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Patrice,

Load sharing with site to site IPSec VPN tunnel is not possible. if you have 2 ADSL connections on both the 1841 you can achieve Redundancy with IPSec tunnels by giving to set peer commands in the crypto map.

If you want Load Sharing you have to go for GRE over IPSec tunnels where you can achieve load sharing with the help of routing protocols or static routing.

Regards,

Puneet

Hi Puneet,

Thank you for the answer, but I do not understand why load sharing with IPSec VPN tunnels is not possible and needs to use GRE.

Isn't it enough if I create 2 IPSec VPN tunnels and two static routes pointing to the same remote networks via the 2 peers ?

It will not work ?

Regards,

Patrice