cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I am having trouble setting up VPN to access entire network

jason
Level 1
Level 1

I have established a network VPN to a machine to machine connection, however, the customer at a remote location cant see other systems on the network, and I cant see his other systems on the network. Is their a way to access the whole network, or at least share other systems resources for the VPN???

8 Replies 8

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

What are you using for name resolution? Can you ping by ip address and name or by ip address alone? If you go start, run and then \\computername what happens? What if you do \\ipaddress? What happens then?

I can connect via IP address (\\IP Address\Share name) but not (\\computername\sharename)

-- More information, we are using a Cisco VPN Concentrator and a Cisco PIIX Firewall on our network.

What kind of client sofware are you using and what OSs are being used? Make sure you have Client for Microsoft Networks and File & Print Sharing turned on

They are using windows 98 and windows ME. File and Print Sharing is on. Right now, we are using a VPN Concentrator (Cisco) to do the VPN tunnel. We can only see on machine remotely on each end - cant access other computers on the remote network (at both ends).

What are you doing for name resolutin on each end? Does the Concentrator have a WINS server specified?

No, however I can set up a lmhost or a host file to accomidate this. The customer may be unwilling to spend additional money on a WINS server to gamble that this would solve his problem.

I think that would solve your problem. From what you have described thus far it seems like a name resloution issue.

Ok, I have figured it out what I need... I will need a WINS server on the main network to resolve names and to allow the clients to browse the whole network, local and across the VPN. VPN is new to me. Thanks for all your help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: