Views
Helpful
Replies

IKEv2 on router with Packet tracer

marcdelor78093
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I discovered the Cisco Packet tracer tool which seems to be a nice ressource.

I'm trying to set a FlexVPN design with ISR4k. Even if I actiavted the securityk9 license, I don't see the ikév2 options :

Router(config)#crypto ?

dynamic-map Specify a dynamic crypto map template

ipsec Configure IPSEC policy

isakmp Configure ISAKMP policy

key Long term key operations

map Enter a crypto map

Does someone have an idea please? Is it a software limitation?Do I have to add something?

Thanks a lot in advance.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Packet tracer from Cisco Net Academy?  It is a simulator build to mimic behavior of real IOS but it is not real IOS.

not all features and commands are supported, and from those that are supported, not all are exactly same as real ios.

It is excellent tool at CCNA level but not for more advanced stuff and beyond CCNA.

Hence, I recommend at least GNS3 with images from 7200s IOS 15.2 or 15.1 but a few others work too - only 7200s are 15.x

Other tools CML and Eveng also work.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

View solution in original post

Crypto ike command would be supported from version 15.x I believe, and as packet tracer would not allow you to import or use actual IOS images, I don't believe that would be possible. As Martin mentioned, you can use GNS3, CML or EVE-NG which are actually emulators not simulators. Personally I prefer EVE-NG.

Hi Martin,

Thnaks for your answer. When I fount PT, I was happy to "play" with this really easy to use tool, but as you mention, it's limited

I'll use another simualtion tool.

6 Replies 6

Hi @marcdelor78093 

What IOS version is running on the packet tracer image? It looks like it only supports ISAKMP (ikev1) not IKEV2, which is required for FlexVPN. In which case you'll need to find another IOS image.

HH

Hi Rob,
Thx for your answer. I realised that's not a standard IOS. So most probably explains why those options aren't available.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Packet tracer from Cisco Net Academy?  It is a simulator build to mimic behavior of real IOS but it is not real IOS.

not all features and commands are supported, and from those that are supported, not all are exactly same as real ios.

It is excellent tool at CCNA level but not for more advanced stuff and beyond CCNA.

Hence, I recommend at least GNS3 with images from 7200s IOS 15.2 or 15.1 but a few others work too - only 7200s are 15.x

Other tools CML and Eveng also work.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Hi Martin,

Thnaks for your answer. When I fount PT, I was happy to "play" with this really easy to use tool, but as you mention, it's limited

I'll use another simualtion tool.

Crypto ike command would be supported from version 15.x I believe, and as packet tracer would not allow you to import or use actual IOS images, I don't believe that would be possible. As Martin mentioned, you can use GNS3, CML or EVE-NG which are actually emulators not simulators. Personally I prefer EVE-NG.

Hi Aref,
Thanks for your answer. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: