Views
Helpful
Replies

Inactive IPsec tunnel not coming up for LAN to LAN traffic

naveen98
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm having an issue with IPSec tunnel which is initiate between CISCO ASA and PaloAlto firewalls.

Tunnel Phase 1 & 2 went up after the configurations and also encapsulated traffic. But after tunnel goes down due to inactivity, we could not bring it back to up-state by sending traffic from Remote LAN to Local LAN. Only after sending a test packet from either sides of the both firewalls only make the tunnel active again. After that Remote LAN to Local LAN connectivity is working.  Kindly provide me a solution on this matter.

I have attached IPsec attributes for your reference. Left side Palo Alto , Right side ASA.

naveen98_1-1667021535272.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

do you have access to both firewalls or you only adminstrator the ASA firewall? 

let assume you the administator of ASA firewall. In order to get this working apply this and monitor, your configuration is not consistant with Palo Alto firewall. 

Phase 1 setting are fine in regards to ASA. even though you have defined group 5 2. so this should be fine as if ASA the initiator sending the ikev2 proposals in that case the responder Palo Alto will chose/decide to use the group 2. so on ikev2 phase 1 we are good.

on phase 2 you configuration are mis-match. look you have defined on PaloAlto Integrity as SH256 but for ASA sha-1. your output showin configuration is fine you defined to use the SHA256 but on PaloAlto you mentioned to use the SHA-1. Now if you have access to PaloAlto firewall change the AirTel VPN Device Phase2  Integrity Algorithm SHA256. and If you do not have access to remote firewall (PaloAlto) in that case change your ASA config to

crypto ipsec ikev2 ipsec-proposal NTB
protocol esp encryption aes-256
protocol esp integrity sha-1

I do not see PSF configured in remote firewall where as you have configured the PSF on your ASA in phase2. either you configured at psf on remote firewall or you take the command off on your asa.

no crypto map #####-CRYPTO-MAP 2913 set pfs group5

I think what happending is when the key expires the tunnel goes down (or when the tunnel goes slient) could be due to psf no configured on both end. therefore in ordere to bring up the tunnel you have to fire some traffic either end.

please do not forget to rate.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

do you config pfs ?

Yes PFS is configured. Do we need to configure same PFS groups in both peers ?

the mismatch DH group is issue between vendor,
you can specify one accept by cisco by reject from palo 
so try use DH group that both cisco and palo accept it.

https://knowledgebase.paloaltonetworks.com/KCSArticleDetail?id=kA10g000000POf1CAG

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all is this information provided correct ? since oneside you see DH2 and other side DH5, this need to be corrected.

Also sha256 vs sha1 on Phase2

What is your config look like? do you have keepalive configured ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Dear @balaji.bandi  FYR,

crypto ikev2 policy 1
encryption aes-256
integrity sha
group 5 2
prf sha
lifetime seconds 86400

protocol esp integrity sha-256

tunnel-group #.#.#.# type ipsec-l2l
tunnel-group #.#.#.# ipsec-attributes
ikev2 remote-authentication pre-shared-key ####
ikev2 local-authentication pre-shared-key ####

ikev2 remote-authentication pre-shared-key #####
ikev2 local-authentication pre-shared-key #####

crypto map #####-CRYPTO-MAP 2913 match address ###_VPN
crypto map #####-CRYPTO-MAP 2913 set peer #.#.#.#
crypto map #####-CRYPTO-MAP 2913 set pfs group5
crypto map #####-CRYPTO-MAP 2913 set ikev2 ipsec-proposal NTB
crypto map #####-CRYPTO-MAP 2913 set security-association lifetime seconds 86400

do you have access to both firewalls or you only adminstrator the ASA firewall? 

let assume you the administator of ASA firewall. In order to get this working apply this and monitor, your configuration is not consistant with Palo Alto firewall. 

Phase 1 setting are fine in regards to ASA. even though you have defined group 5 2. so this should be fine as if ASA the initiator sending the ikev2 proposals in that case the responder Palo Alto will chose/decide to use the group 2. so on ikev2 phase 1 we are good.

on phase 2 you configuration are mis-match. look you have defined on PaloAlto Integrity as SH256 but for ASA sha-1. your output showin configuration is fine you defined to use the SHA256 but on PaloAlto you mentioned to use the SHA-1. Now if you have access to PaloAlto firewall change the AirTel VPN Device Phase2  Integrity Algorithm SHA256. and If you do not have access to remote firewall (PaloAlto) in that case change your ASA config to

protocol esp integrity sha-1

I do not see PSF configured in remote firewall where as you have configured the PSF on your ASA in phase2. either you configured at psf on remote firewall or you take the command off on your asa.

no crypto map #####-CRYPTO-MAP 2913 set pfs group5

I think what happending is when the key expires the tunnel goes down (or when the tunnel goes slient) could be due to psf no configured on both end. therefore in ordere to bring up the tunnel you have to fire some traffic either end.

please do not forget to rate.

Hi @Sheraz.Salim thank you for your valuable answer. I do not have administrator access to Palo alto and i will do the changes that you have provided from ASA end and get back to you with the results. 

something I dont get and need more clarification 
the proposal can config or router can use default proposal, which in this particular case the default is same as we enter manually. 
the Q is, as I know if one proposal reject the router will not give up, but it will try use other proposal, if not config then it will use default, so when the router use default proposal and when not use it ??

>>>The default proposal is a collection of commonly used algorithms which are as follows:

encryption aes-cbc-128 3des
integrity sha1 md5
group 5 2

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: