cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

L2L multiple policy - Static VPN and dynamic 3G VPN (pepwave)

Joel Johnson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a cisco 861 that needs to run two L2L tunnels, one to a peplink 3G device and another to a cisco ASA:

Peplink HD2 <----3G VPN Tunnel----> Cisco 861 <---VPN Tunnel----> Cisco ASA

http://www.cloud-distribution.com/_CDL/files/ipsec_guide.pdf 

using crypto keyring dynkey (aggressive mode).

I can establish the Cisco 861 and ASA VPN tunnel without a problem. But as soon as i add the 3G dynamic policy to the config for the peplink HD2. The policies seem to clash. 

crypto keyring dynkey
  pre-shared-key hostname vpn@peplink key ***************
!
crypto isakmp policy 1
 encr aes 256
 authentication pre-share
 group 5
!
crypto isakmp policy 20
 encr 3des
 authentication pre-share
 group 2
crypto isakmp key 2kSc89723Lkndv90K address 46.183.191.1
crypto isakmp profile dynprofile
   keyring dynkey
   self-identity user-fqdn vpn@cisco
   match identity user-fqdn vpn@peplink
   initiate mode aggressive
!
crypto ipsec security-association lifetime seconds 86400
!
crypto ipsec transform-set TS esp-aes 256 esp-sha-hmac
crypto ipsec transform-set 3desset esp-3des esp-sha-hmac
!
 set security-association lifetime seconds 3600
!
!
!
crypto dynamic-map dynmap 20
 set transform-set 3desset
 set pfs group2
 set isakmp-profile dynprofile
 match address VPN-TRAFFIC
!
!
crypto map CMAP_CF 1 ipsec-isakmp
 description Tunnel to46.183.191.1
 set peer 46.183.191.1
 set transform-set TS
 set pfs group5
crypto map CMAP_CF 20 ipsec-isakmp dynamic dynmap

Is there a way to put these into seperate policies/profiles or am i doing something completely wrong? Both tunnels work okay independantly.

Thanks,

Joel 

4 Replies 4

Santhosha Shetty
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Joel,

I see you have applied the same ACL -VPN-TRAFFIC under both static and dynamic map:

crypto dynamic-map dynmap 20
 set transform-set 3desset
 set pfs group2
 set isakmp-profile dynprofile
!
!
crypto map CMAP_CF 1 ipsec-isakmp
 description Tunnel to46.183.191.1
 set peer 46.183.191.1
 set transform-set TS
 set pfs group5
crypto map CMAP_CF 20 ipsec-isakmp dynamic dynmap

Why would you need match address for dynamic-map ?

Regards,

Shetty

Hi Shetty.

I've attached a PDF with diagram to help explain. (Red traffic failover route, blue traffic normal data)

Basically traffic from 192.168.40.xxx needs to be able to talk to devices at 10.21.1.71 - traveling from cisco 861 to Cisco HQ via the VPN. In normal operation the satellite network passes traffic to the 861 for encryption. BUT when the Sat is Down the pepwave can failover to the Cisco via 3G. 

The VPN ACL for the cisco to Cisco is already 192.168.40.xxx to 10.21.1.71.

So would the VPN ACL for the 3G (dynamic) to cisco be 192.168.40.xxx to 10.21.1.71. as well as the inteded destination is 10.21.1.71 and the source is 192.168.40.xxx? 

Or would i need to route traffic differently? 

And i assume the best way to do this is to use one Crypto map with different proirities? 

Thanks,

Hi Joel,

So if I understand right with static map you are trying to build site to site vpn over satellite link and as a back up you have configured dynamic-map to accept dynamic connection from peplink 3G device over same WAN connection ?

If both the  tunnels are built over same WAN interface , do note that if suppose both peers try to build tunnel at same time  with router its going to keep only one ( since both peers presents same vpn network/proxy-id).

What exactly does happen whe you add dynamic profile? Lets say you have tunnel working fine with ASA and you add dynamic profile, does tunnel with ASA go down?

Debug logs should tell us why a tunnel is torn down.

debug crypto condition peer ipv4 <remote peer public IP> //** set the condition for both ASA and peplink device one by one.

collect following debugs:

debug cry isa

debug cry ipsec

After collecting the debugs turn it off using "undebug all"

Thanks,

Shetty

Hi Shetty,

your comments about the network are correct. The Satellite passes traffic to the cisco at a ground station to be encrypted to the cisco at HQ, once the sate is down the 3G tunnel needs to pass traffic to the ground station cisco for routing down the same tunnel to HQ

So both the pepwave and cisco 86X use the same ACL to access the HQ cisco via VPN. Would that cause both peers to present the same vpn network/proxy-id on same wan.

Only part of the pepwave 3G tunnel comes up (the part that doesnt include the same addresses as in the satellite link in the ACL. 

Would you know of a way to get around this?

I only have access to the cisco 86X (on IOS) and pepwave so cant run the ASA commands. ill post what i have from the IOS though ASAP. 

Thanks!

Joel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: