cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys WRT54G to Cisco RV042 (Client to Gateway) access

dan-esstech
Level 1
Level 1

We recently upgraded from a Linksys WRT54G router to a Cisco RV042 to gain "gateway-to-gateway" automated VPN access. However, we are unable to get "client to gateway" access working.

With the Linksys WRT54G we used a "username" "password" pair for remote client authenication. This worked for both Windows and Mac OS X users using the built-in PPTP client. We found we had to set "encryption" value to "none" on the client side.

I am confused by the setup screens on the RV042. It looks like I must setup a "tunnel" (VPN->Client to Gateway), there is (VPN->VPN Client Access) where I can enter a username/password, and also (VPN->PPTP Server) where another username/password pair can be entered. I have tried all sorts of combinations but "no love". I am particularly mystified by the (VPN->Client to Gateway) settings for "Remote Client Setup"; the client can be calling in from anywhere and there is an option for "Dynamic IP + Email Address" but I'm not sure how that maps onto the client (do they use the email address as their account name?). I have also looked at defining a "Group VPN" where I am given other options. But nothing works from the client.

I just need to come up with some setup that works, that I can document to both PC and Mac users at a miniumum.

Thanks, dan-esstech

1 Reply 1

bhowmick.i
Level 1
Level 1

Any luck? I'm facing the same problem. PPTP is working on Windows, but not IPSec. I need it, as I have to give access to Linux and MAC users.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: