cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Load Balancing ASA question - which IP do I direct clients too?

jickfoo
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 5520's with a 50 user SSLVPN license on each. I want to use the VPN load balancing feature. Should I be sending users to the Cluster IP Address ? The documentation isnt clear on this point.

Thanks,

Justin

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

hdashnau
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's correct. You should have the VPN connect to the LB cluster IP, not the individual IP addresses. The master ASA will listen for the connection requests to the LB Cluster IP and based on load either accept the connection or automatically redirect it to one of the standby ASAs in the cluster. This should all be transparent to the VPN user connecting.

View solution in original post

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

jickfoo wrote:

I have 2 5520's with a 50 user SSLVPN license on each. I want to use the VPN load balancing feature. Should I be sending users to the Cluster IP Address ? The documentation isnt clear on this point.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin

You need to use the cluster IP address. If you used the actual address of the firewall outside interfaces then you wouldn't get load-balancing.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

hdashnau
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's correct. You should have the VPN connect to the LB cluster IP, not the individual IP addresses. The master ASA will listen for the connection requests to the LB Cluster IP and based on load either accept the connection or automatically redirect it to one of the standby ASAs in the cluster. This should all be transparent to the VPN user connecting.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

jickfoo wrote:

Thanks,

Justin

Justin

You need to use the cluster IP address. If you used the actual address of the firewall outside interfaces then you wouldn't get load-balancing.

Jon

Out of interest, why was this rated as not helpful ?

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: