Views
Helpful
Replies

Migration HostScan 4.3 to 4.6 questions

robo0003c
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

We are going to migrate from HostScan 4.3.05058 to 4.6.03051. We are going to be using this guide from Cisco: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/migration/guide/HostscanMigration43x-46x.html#id_94544

The questions:

-6 months ago we mistakenly tried to upgrade to HostScan 4.6 (we reverted immediately back to 4.3) without knowing the migration and by such the Hostscan_Migration_Backup files has been created. But that was 6 months ago and we have made several changes to the DAP policy since then. How can I make sure that the "Hostscan_Migration_Backup" is up to date now when I am going to perform the migration?

-We do not have a test environment so when we do this it will have to be live in prod. So is this considered to be a low risk for it to go wrong -- regarding the ASDM migration? Anyone who has experience migrating?

Grateful for answers!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Delete the earlier Hostscan_Migration_Backup directory on your ASA and re-start the migration. It will make a fresh copy using your current policies. 

Follow the steps in the document your referenced carefully and it should migrate everything fine.

If anything goes wrong you can always restore the previous running-config and copy in the old policy files and you will have reverted to your original configuration. At that point you could engage TAC for a troubleshooting session.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Delete the earlier Hostscan_Migration_Backup directory on your ASA and re-start the migration. It will make a fresh copy using your current policies. 

Follow the steps in the document your referenced carefully and it should migrate everything fine.

If anything goes wrong you can always restore the previous running-config and copy in the old policy files and you will have reverted to your original configuration. At that point you could engage TAC for a troubleshooting session.

Thank you for the answer! I will do that!

robo0003c
Level 1
Level 1

We have now performed the upgrade from 4.3. to 4.6. It went well, took about 2 hours since we have a lot of DAP entries. The guide was very good!

I was able to test in an ASA 5506x before I did the change in the production env 5545x. What i noticed in ASA 5506x was that ASDM hanged after step 5. So I had to restart the ASA before being able to contioue to step 6.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Input like that improves the quality of the content for everybody reading.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: