cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring and Pinging ASA over VPN

ytlee80
Level 1
Level 1

I hope you guys will be able to help me on this. I have two ASA running 7.2(3) and 7.2(4) respectively, which is connected via site to site VPN. I have no problem getting the VPN to work. However I have been trying to setup monitoring of the VPN's utilization of the for siteB ASA from siteA without any success. Also can anyone share how to get ping and traceroute working from siteA to siteB, meaning traffic travel via the tunnel and get a ping and traceroute response from the inside and outside interface.

I have tried adding

icmp permit any any echo-reply inside

icmp permit any any echo-reply outside

and also permit icmp from outside to inside but not working

All help is appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

add "inspect icmp" and "inspect icmp error" to the policy-map

There is a command from the global config mode it start with management I do not remeber the whole command

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

ytlee80
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Thank you very much for your replies. i will test that out.

Do you guys have any luck monitoring utilization of vpn? I am not sure how to monitor individual vpn usage. If you guys have any recommendation of software , please let me know.

Hi,

Check  out VPNTTG (VPN Tunnel Traffic Grapher) is a software for SNMP  monitoring and measuring the traffic load for IPsec  (Site-to-Site,  Remote Access) and SSL (With Client, Clientless) VPN  tunnels on a Cisco  ASA. It allows the user to see traffic load on a VPN  tunnel over time  in graphical form.

Advantage of VPNTTG over other SNMP based monitoring software's is   following: Other (commonly used) software's are working with static OID   numbers, i.e. whenever tunnel disconnects and reconnects, it gets   assigned a new OID number. This means that the historical data,  gathered  on the connection, is lost each time. However, VPNTTG works  with VPN  peer's IP address and it stores for each VPN tunnel  historical  monitoring data into the Database.

For more information about VPNTTG please visit www.vpnttg.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: