cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New L2L vpn, how does 1 point first find the remote public address?

New L2L vpn, how does 1 point first find the remote public address,?

The 2 public endpoints must find eachother over the www, public IP addresses are assigned to new www endpoints all the time.

So, how does a new route establish in the first place?

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@jmaxwellUSAF any new network would need to be advertised using a dynamic routing protocol, the other devices would route out via their default route and communicate with the new IP network.

Routing is the basic requirement to establish a VPN, so you'd use traceroute determine path and ping to determine reachability of the peer when troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

@jmaxwellUSAF I am not really sure I understand of your question, so a guess.....

Are you referring to ASA/FTD/router with a dynamic public IP address? Therefore you do not know the public IP address to peer with?

Assuming you have 1 static IP address on the hub side, the spoke sides can have a dynamic IP address - you would create a dynamic crypto map or from ASA 9.19 (FTD 7.3) you can use a dVTI. Or if using a router use DMVPN or FlexVPN.

My question is simple-- Our organization ads and removes public IP addresses all the time. How does a vendor gain knowledge of a route to our newly assigned IP address location?

At the highest level, does the ISP actively discover new endpoints, and calculate a route through a routing protocol, then send this route through the www routing tables, so that a vendor will gain connectivity to my enterprise new public ip-address because it simply has a default gateway with an always-updating www routing table?

This is relevant knowledge when troubleshooting VPNs refusing to turn-on.

Thank you.

@jmaxwellUSAF any new network would need to be advertised using a dynamic routing protocol, the other devices would route out via their default route and communicate with the new IP network.

Routing is the basic requirement to establish a VPN, so you'd use traceroute determine path and ping to determine reachability of the peer when troubleshooting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: