Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX 515E Failover with VAC and VAC+

mogli
Level 1
Level 1

hy,

we are using a pix 515E including a standard VAC. to build a failover solution, we thought about buying a second pix with failover licence. this pix includes a VAC+ .

is it possible to combine a pix with a vac and a pix with a vac+ into a failover-scenario?? the other hardware (interfaces) are the same and the primary pix has an unrestricted licence.

thanks a lot for your help,

7 Replies 7

bvanniekerk
Level 1
Level 1

Hardware: Hardware platforms needs to be the same.

Licencing: If running an unrestricted licence, then failover should work with Failover licence.

HTH

That's not exactly true, because and I quote from the Cisco site "The PIX-4FE and PIX-4FE-66 cards are considered equivalent and interchangeable. You can install a PIX-4FE in the primary unit and a PIX-4FE-66 in the secondary unit, as long as you install them in the same slot number of each chassis. For example, if you install a PIX-4FE in Slot 1 of the primary unit, the PIX-4FE-66 must be installed in Slot 1 of the secondary unit."

For VAC and VAC+ I don't know. I hope Cisco can help you out.

Regards

Aad

Hi

Please keep in mind the architecture of the device and where the 66Mhz and 33MHz interfaces are...

Certain PIX's will not boot if card in wrong position...

I know, but I still haven't found anything about using a VAC and a VAC+ in a failover configuration

Regards

Aad

I think the same applies...may very well be mistaken...

Rgrds

Byron

Hi!

Same problem here... Have you had an answer yet?

Regards

hi,

as far as i remeber, it works fine. we have no experience about the vpn acceleration (vac+ supports aes, vac 3des), because we don't use vpn access from outside. the firewall features work fine in case of a failover.

regards

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: