cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pix to Pix VPN connection error.

dschuene
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem with a VPN implementation. I am using PPTP, not IPsec. I have two sites, one has a Pix 506 and the other has a Pix 501. Both firewall configurations are configured the same. If a remote user connects using any standard Microsoft VPN client, they are able to connect very easily with no problems. However, any Microsoft VPN client that tried to attach from behind a Cisco firewall will not work. The connection hangs up at "Verifiying User name and Password" and then gives a that the remote server doesnt pick up. I have had an external company trying to access my networks but they get the same message. They connect to many other PIX firewalls so I know the issue must be with my setup. I am able to reproduce this issue when I try to communicate between sites. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Reply 1

afakhan
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Actually you need to make sure that the device that is doing PAT (a FW) that your PPTP users are sitting behind, is PPTP aware PAT e,g, a Cisco router having 12.1(2)T or later support PPTP PassThru feature.

You can try putting a static translation entry for a particular host on the FW (doing PAT) or connect via dial-up account to double check thats what is happening because of PAT.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/110/pix_pptp.html

PIX debugs should also help here.

Thanks,

Afaq