Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX with PPPOE as PPTP/L2TP server

madube_vtl
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a PIX 501 that I want to configure as PPTP/L2TP servers. I added the vpdn group instructions for both. When I try to run the vpdn enable outside command, I get the "Can not enable vpdn on the same interface as PPPoE" message.

Of course, my internet access is a DSL link with PPPOE. So I also configured the "vpdn group pppoegrp request dialout pppoe" command.

But when I use a static IP address on my outside interface, I am able to enable vpdn outside!!!

Is this a Pix limitation!!!!

4 Replies 4

pcomeaux
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes - the Pix cannot terminate L2TP/PPTP connections on a PPPoE interface.

The solution to this is to use the free Cisco IPSec VPN client, which will work in this scenario with a PPPoE interface.

Please let us know if you would like to see a sample configuration.

thanks!

peter

Thanks for the reply.

I already have configured the Cisco VPN client part into the PIX. It works. But a lot of customers don't want to install another software on their PC and would prefer to use the Microsoft VPN clients (PPTP or L2TP). Since it is working with the Cisco VPN client, why not for PPTP/L2TP.

For sure, the dynamic IP address obtained via PPPOE is not known and has to be figured out. I tell my customers to go to websites such has www.whatismyip.com. But they could also apply for Dynamic DNS services.

So do you think that the developpers will try to cancel this limitation????

Thanks again

I'll do some further research and let you know what I find. Hopefully, this research will shed some light on the technical details why this is not currently working - either by accident or by limitation of PPTP/L2TP.

This may take a few days, so I'll let you know what I uncover.

thanks

peter

Thank you very much for your reply and your help. I will be waiting. I have also asked my Cisco SE about this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: