Views
Helpful
Replies

PSA/Fix Request - Increase Java Ram Allotment for ASDM

Ben L
Level 1
Level 1

Good Afternoon,

I'm making this post as both a PSA for anyone who might be having the same issue i've been able to resolve/as a request that it be fixed by default:

ASDM is a Java based application for managing ASA security appliances, for the longest time I have been having an issue with ASDM going totally unresponsive for long periods of time/outright crashing. I was able to figure out that this is because the software has a hardcoded limitation on its system ram utilization of 512mb so any time the software tries to use more ram than this it goes completely unresponsive. normally this wouldn't be a big deal, but when connecting to our ASA appliances, the software tries to use almost 700mb of ram when just starting up.. so either the software needs to be largely reoptimized or we need to allocate more ram for it to use.

I went digging through the install directory and found what i was looking for in asdm-launcher.sh which appears to be the java initialization script the launcher uses. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\ASDM\asdm-launcher.sh)

within this file on line 35 you will find 

exec java -Xms64m -Xmx512m -XX:MaxNewSize=1024k \

change this to 
exec java -Xms64m -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxNewSize=1024k \

note, this file is read-only so you will need to make a copy, rename the original, then rename your copy to use the orignal name

after making this change ASDM has yet to freeze on me

hope this helps!

1 Reply 1

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

And just to add, this behavior is related to bug CSCvn21342 .

Kind regards,

Milos