Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about setting up rdp using a cisco 800 series router

tekky1988
Level 1
Level 1

HI there,

I am currently in school for networking. One co-op placement I went too handed me a cisco 800 series router to practice my routing skills on. I am trying to setup RDP so I can access my server from outside my internal network. I ran this following acl command to do it.

ip nat inside source static tcp server IP address port# cable modem IP port # extendable.

My question here is, my cable modem will occasionally hand out a different IP since it has DCHP. I cannot turn DHCP off in my cable modem. So is there a way I can set this up to use a dynamic IP from my modem so I alwasy have access to it or every time my modem changes the IP address do I have to go in and modify this acl?

6 Replies 6

pcfreak49
Level 1
Level 1

Which provider do you have your cable modem?

do you have a static IP address or a dynamic IP address from ISP?

Hi pcfreak49

I have a dynamic IP from Teksavvy.

okay it is sometimes possible to the cable modem port forwarding to do?

I am not able to log into the cable modem (I have tried)

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can configure dynamic DNS on router, or on a PC.

For the first, search documentation or forum.

Alos, use "interface", not ip address for public ip in nat statement.

shamax_1983
Level 3
Level 3

Configure DDNS ( Dynamic DNS ) on the router. For this you need to register with a DDNS provider. Go to

http://www.no-ip.com/ . they provide free reliable service.

With DDNS, Once your router gets a DHCP address from your ISP , it will dynamically update the DNS name record. For example if you register you routers name as, "myrouter.no-ip.org",  from there onwards whatever the IP your router gets, you can refer to that by this name.

So do as what Paolo said regarding using interface instead of ip, and register with the DDNS and you are good to go..

Hope this helps

Please rate this post if helpful..

Thanks

Shamal