cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RDP conn fails thru AnyConnect

Phil Williamson
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue that I believe IS NOT ASA or AnyConnect related, but I need to ask the support comm. just the same.

ASA5510 8.2(5) OS; AnyConn Windows 2.5.2017

RDP PC client - Win7 Pro 64-bit

I can make the VPN conn to the ASA

I can ping any pingable IP on the protected net

I can RDP to a W2k8 64-bit server (domain-controller)

I cannot RDP to a W2k3 server (WTS) - I don't even get the Microsoft domain login screen - just times out.

I am connecting to both by IP address to preclude DNS issues.

From a 32-bit OS PC I can RDP to either.

Suggestions?

Thx,

Phil

4 Replies 4

Phil Williamson
Level 1
Level 1

Found MTU=1436 on outside

Change to default 1500 and problem resolved.

Phil

Thanks for posting back to the forum that the problem turned out to be MTU. I read your description of the problem and it certainly did not look to me like a problem with MTU. But one of the nice things about the forum is being reminded of the variety of things that can cause problems.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes, but now need to understand why RDP to W2k3 fails and W2k8 succeeds.  Both on same cat 3560 switch and ports/NICs are auto/auto and no errors on switchports.  ASA  inside is conn to 3560 too and error free

Phil

Yes that is an interesting question. For this perhaps a packet capture and Wireshark might be helpful.

My guess is that there is some difference in how (or whether) they negotiate max segment size.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: