cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src inside:192.168.254.53 dst External:x.x.x.x

bgl-group
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm setting up a site to site VPN from an internal firewall and doing 'pass-thru' on our external firewall to the customers site. I have set a number of these up and they work fine, but for this one I get an error on the External firewall when the VPN establishes : 'regular translation creation failed for protocol 50 src inside 192.168.253.53 dst external x.x.x.x'  I've used dummy public address in the diagram below:

Drawing3.jpg

I've checked the NAT statement and ACL on the 'pass-thru' firewall and they look fine. Has anyone got any ideas' why this is happening? I'm guessing it's something to do with NAT, but I cant work out whats going wrong.

Regards, Stewart

3 Replies 3

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What type of NAT have you configured on the firewall? and also what is the version of the firewall?

It would need to be static 1:1 NAT instead of static PAT. Unless if both ends of the VPN supports NAT-T, which would typically encapsulate the ESP (protocol 50) packet to UDP/4500.

From the error, it seems that it is failing on ESP and NAT-T has not been negotiated.

Hi thanks for the quick response.

The NAT I've configured on the 'pass-thru' firewall is a Dynamic Policy NAT because i need to specifiy the source & destination as I dont want everything being NAT'd from that source.

The firewall Im using is a ASA5510 v8.2(4)

I have asked the customer if they support NAT-T and they said it's disabled on their PIX and have asked if there is a work around on our side.

Dynamic PAT will not work as it will translate the port as well. ESP is a protocol not a TCP/UDP with port, therefore PAT will not work.

You can configure static policy NAT for the VPN traffic.

Can you please share what is being configured at the moment, or basically, you can use static policy NAT to configure the translation. Let me know if you need help with that.