cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rekey time : Cisco 3000 VPN concentrator to Nortel Contivity

mmania
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 3000 VPN concentrator, my client connect to my network through a Nortel Contivity 600. the connection drops each 18 hours (86400) due to the rekey time. my client want to have the connection up at all the time due to the problem caused on his application when the connection drops each 18hours (86400). is it possible to set the rekey time to infinit or to off to maintain the connection up all the time

tx

1 Reply 1

jsivulka
Level 5
Level 5

To not refresh the keys periodically is a bad idea. It is equivalent of opening up a big hole in your defences. The connection will drop after the SA lifetime expires only if there is no interesting traffic. If however interesting traffic continues to flow, a new SA will be renegotiated before the older one expires. Even after it expires, interesting traffic would trigger a new renegotiation and you should not be running into any problemsl. However, if you still need the tunnel up all the time, you could do something like what we did. Not exactly the best solution, but running a routing protocol would work where the periodic updates would keep the tunnel up.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: