Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote access via pppoe - mac add limitation

Hi,

We have a requirement to provide remote access for a number of individual customers.  I plan on using pppoe for each of these customers as it will give us the ability to control each session individually and apply shaping etc if required.

There will be about 250 customers at the one location and we are using a thrid party supplier to run the connectivity into the site.  I plan on dragging the pppoe sessions back to our network rather than terminating them onsite.

The main issue I have is that the supplier who is running the connectivity into the site for us has a mac address limit of 50.

My question is  - is there any way in which I can still bring the pppoe session back to our network while still remaining under the 50 mac address limit?

I thought perhaps mpls might be the way to go here, but, I'm not too sure.  We're running mosly Cisco 7200's so we might be limited in the options available...

Can any please advise on what might be a suitable option?

Thanks,

Jonathan

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think PPPoE is a good idea. It introduces a lot of additional requirements, devices, additional client configuration, all complications that are easily avoided with a normal technology, eg. IP routing, GRE (only if necessary), etc.

ok, thanks.  I might re-think the design.

You're welcome, please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.