cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote Access VPN latency issues

kmkrause2
Level 1
Level 1

I have an end user who uses the Anyconnect VPN client to connect to our network through an ASA5510. He has a satellite ISP provider and is experiencing latency issues. Since latency issues are inherent with satellite services and since he has no other ISP alternative, I was looking for advice on tweaks that may boost performance/reduce latency with his connection. Typcally, he sees slow performance and also network drives being intermittently available on his Windows 7 computer. he also has an internal wireless router at his home when he connects remotely. Performance when connected through a standard cable broadband connection is fine.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Ken                  

2 Replies 2

harshisi_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ken,

I would suggest reducing the MTU size to near 1200 or so,since it's a satellite link, the retransmission rate is high and larger packet will have more tendency to be dropped /lost.

other than that i don't believe we have any other option.

PS: ensure the mtu settings are restored after switching to normal connection else it will cause a latency over there as well.

~Harry

Thanks for the reply. I'll test this out when I get a chance and keep you updated.