cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote hosted server

tallpaulroe
Level 1
Level 1

not sure if this is the correct forum for this.

I have a network with a number of devices that will be accessed by a server that is hosted by a external company.

the external company wil then use data from this server to create content on their own web server.

the link between the the 2 of us will be over the internet as their is also another external company that also need acess to the devices on our network for support reasons.

my first thought was build a vpn from each external company to our firewalland use NAT to allow them to access our devices

the only issue i can see with this is that i will need to be able to access the server at one of these sites using MS RDP.

would this work ?

3 Replies 3

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Yes.. it should work. Make sure you restrict your VPN tunnel ACL to one server IP on other end (for case 1).

For case 2- same scenario with multiple internal addresses.

Bottomline- make sure not to compromise on security (accessing systems/data) when you allow any remote access.

hth

MS

my plan is as follows

stick our server at the remote site site on THEIR network.

then get them to allocate 16 IP addresses for the kit on OUR network

then create the vpn and use static NAT at my end to convert from their IP addresses to our IP addresses.

the server should now be able to talk to our kit using their IP addresses

however i also need to the kit at my end to send messages to the server at their end so i guess i have to do a NAT in the other direction and set up a route to the server IP address ???

so that just leaves the other external company that needs access to the devices. do i have to repeat the whole thing with them ? i.e. another VPN with another bunch of static NAT addresses ?

Just use the same existing NATs that you used with first company and create 2nd tunnel with 2nd external company.

Thx

MS