Views
Helpful
Replies

Remote VPN ---strange problem

sikkander
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Folks

I hv setup remote access VPN using PIX515 some time back & tested the same from the Firewall outside segment & also thru dialup and found to be working fine.After establishing Ipsec VPN,the user needs to access the server which is in the inside network thru web browser.This was working properly when I did the testing some time back

But now,when I connect from the firewall outside segment Iam able to establish the Ipsec vpn tunnel & also access the server in the inside network w/o problems.I tried to establish the VPN tunnel from dialup or other location Iam able to establish the vpn tunnel w/o any problems but thereafter Iam not able to reach the server which is in the inside n/w.Also not able to ping to the server ip from the VPN client.Can u guys help to identify what is the problem?

No problems if I put the vpn client in the FW outside LAN as below

server----PIX-----|---------------router---internet

|

---VPN client

Problem if using the vpn client from dialup/other location network

server----PIX----|----router---internet---VPNclient

|

No changes done in the configuration after the initial testing

Thanks in advance

Cheers

SS

2 Replies 2

ehirsel
Level 6
Level 6

How are you trying to reach the server? By name, or by IP address?

One test that I would like you to do is this:

1. On the fw outside lan, connect using the vpn client, and display your ip configuration. I assume that you have a MS WIN OS on your client. So run the ipconfig /all command. Note your dns and/or wins servers, and dns suffix. Try to contact the server.

2. Repeat #1, except this time try it from the dial-up or remote location. See if you have the same dns and wins servers. Also note the connection dns suffux. See if any are different than they were with #1.

Let me know what you find.

Hi !!!

Tks for ur response...Iam accessing the server by using ip address.When I access it from the FW outside lan Iam able to ping to the ip add of the server& access the webpage but thru dialup/remote location Iam unable to ping to the ip address & also unable to access the webpage of the server

SS