Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 VPN Connection Questions

cisco0502
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have successfully connected two RV042s to establish a VPN gateway to VPN gateway connection. I have the follow questions, please comment:

1. I would like to keep the VPN tunnel connection time indefinite. Is it sufficient by checking the "Keep-Alive" box on the VPN -> Gateway To Gateway -> Advance page? Or, I have to ping the RV042 periodically?

2. Do the "Phase 1/Phase 2 SA Life Time" (on VPN -> Gateway To Gateway page) settings have any impact on keeping the VPN connection time indefinite? What are the optimal values for them?

3. Is there an API, command, or script to replace a manual clicking on the "CONNECT" button to establish the VPN tunnel from the VPN -> Summary page? Or, is there a way to accomplish this at power up?

4. Is there a way to establish a VPN tunnel without going through login and clicking the "CONNECT" button? (Auto connect at power up?)

Thank you in advance for the comments.

Steve

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

brooklyn18
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Stephen

I have an issue as well. We have a RV042 that will not reestablish connection

unless we hit the connect button . Then everything is fine - after a while it drops connection

again and we have to log in and connect again

Are you still having the issue ?

Mike

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

brooklyn18
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Stephen

I have an issue as well. We have a RV042 that will not reestablish connection

unless we hit the connect button . Then everything is fine - after a while it drops connection

again and we have to log in and connect again

Are you still having the issue ?

Mike

cisco0502
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Mike,

I did not do any extensive testings on the RV042s, but I did the following things to my RV042s:

1. Enabled the "Keep-Alive" feature  (see Administration Guide, page 128),

2. Enabled the "Dead Peer Detection" feature and set the interval to 10 seconds. (see Administration Guide, page 129).

Make sure you save the changes.

These features are available below the "Advanced" button under the VPN selection. I hope this help.

You can power down the router or disconnect the network to verify the result. The VPN tunnel should be re-established and stay connected.

Steve

Awesome Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: