cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

save username in profile

mrjoli021
Level 1
Level 1

I am a consultant and I have multiple vpn connections with different user /pass.  I am using any connect 4.6.  I figured out how to create profiles and it works great, so know I have drop down list with all the different sites I connect to.  My question is, is there a way to store the usernames in the profiles as well, I don't care about the passwords and I would not to store them on the profiles anyways.  I only care about the usernames.  All sites have different usernames and standards and it always defaults to the last username I used for X site.

Is there a parameter I can add to the XML profile to achieve this?

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Security point of view, its not advised to store any usernames.

As per i know there is no option like that until i have used 4.5.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

stsargen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is not possible with AnyConnect.  AnyConnect does have the option to not cache the last username if that helps at all.  This canbe found under the RestrictPreferenceCaching setting in the AnyConnectLocalPolicy.xml file.

Thank you guys, this is good information for me..

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The username is saved in the preferences.xml profile (in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client) vs. the connection-specific ones (which are found in C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Profile) and will always update to the last-used.

I have the same issue since I work with VARs and have multiple AC profiles with variations on my username to account for each customer's naming convention for accounts.

A Ryden
Level 1
Level 1

I realise that saving a plain text username in the profiles is not very secure, but could it not be stored encrypted in the app and use something like a GUID in the profile to collect them at runtime?

I currently have about two dozen profiles stored for various clients and getting the passwords is enough of a hassle.
This feature would be really helpful