cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Securing wireless vlan using IPSec

ajamua
Level 1
Level 1

In light of the recently reported insecurities of WEP security algorithm, I am interested in protecting my wireless vlan traffic using IPSec. I am using Lucent Accesspoints and WaveLAN card. I figure that i will create a VPN router using Cisco2621 and force it to encrypt all wireless traffic. Then I will install VPN client on all wireless laptops. How does this sound?

One problem I can see is that this will not protect wireless to wireless communications. This will also require all wireless traffic to be routed because I will need to place all services for wireless vlan [exchange, dns, wins, ect.] off the wireless vlan to protect then. Has anyone protected there wireless network this way? Any suggestions?

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/02/12/010212hnwireless.xml?p=br&s=10

1 Reply 1

kbeltz
Level 1
Level 1

Running the VPN client to router tunnels will work fine for your wireless devices. I know Cisco is working on a newer rendition of WEP that is supposed to be out soon on their Aironet product line that will eliminate this need for our network. I don’t know if Lucent is doing anything similar.

Wireless to wireless will have to run VPN client to VPN client as the tunnel start/end points. Should be doable.

Hope this helps!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: