cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up different Cisco VPN clients on one PC

e-fortin
Level 1
Level 1

I need to set up a Cisco 5000, version 5.2 client to connect to a site that requires Shared Key and RADIUS password for verification.

I also need to set up a Cisco Client, version 3.6.1to connect to another site that uses Group name and password verification.

Both of these sites have provided me with the licensed Client software.

Either works fine if it is the only one on my PC (Windows 2000).

If I have Cisco 5000 installed, and I try to install Cisco Client 3.6.1, the wizard starts and then hangs. A reboot is required. It will not install.

If I have Cisco Client 3.6.1 installed and I try to install Cisco 5000, the wizard forces a delete of the existing one before proceeding.

Although each Client allows profiles to be set up for multiple hosts, it appears that the type of validation must be the same for all.

Is there a solution that would allow me to connect to either host from the same PC?

Thanks,

Elaine

4 Replies 4

marcusm
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry Elaine, this isn't a response to your question, but rather something along similar lines.

Why does the Cisco VPN client force other VPN clients to be uninstalled before allowing it's installation?

REQUESTING RESPONSE FROM CISCO Personnel.

A response to my request for help would be very, very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Elaine

Sorry, you can not have both client installed on the same boot system. Setup your pc for multiboot system, one boot will use vpn3000, another boot using 5000. There is no way around it at the moment.

Regards,

OK, I accept that I cannot have both versions of Cisco Client running on the same partition.

I last had VPN Client installed.

Now I am trying to install VPN 5000 again. I removed VPN Client using Windows Add/Remove software, yet everytime I try to install VPN 5000, it says it detects VPN 5000 already there. I even re-installed and uninstalled VPN Client , hoping it would clean up whatever left-over files are there from VPN 5000.

Your help documentation has the following help about manually removing the

Cisco Systems VPN Transport driver, but all instructions are for NT. I have Win 2000, and there is no 'Network' under 'Control Settings', and nothing that I can find that looks like it.

Below is your documentation.

Can you please help me get Cisco VPN 5000 installed again?

Uninstalling the VPN Client for Windows

To uninstall the VPN client, use the Windows uninstaller (under Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs).

Uninstalling the Driver

The Unwise program included with the VPN client for Windows NT Versions 3.x or later automatically removes the driver.

The Unwise program for the VPN client for Windows NT Version 2.x and the Windows uninstaller program do not automatically uninstall the VPN driver. If your VPN client is Version 2.x, you must remove the driver manually.

To remove the driver manually

Step 1 From the Start menu, choose Control Panel > Network.

Step 2 Click the Protocols tab.

Step 3 Select the Cisco Systems VPN Transport driver.

For VPN client Versions 2.5 and 3.x, select the Compatible Systems VPN Transport Driver.

Step 4 Click the Remove button.

Step 5 When prompted, reboot the computer.