Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

site-site VPN frustration....

Okay, I've been going F*****G crazy trying to figure this out... What am I missing?!

I'm attempting to get a site-site VPN setup in PT as a test before rolling out in prod, no matter what I do I can't seem to get it working... 

The branch router is configured as below, but for some reason the VPN tunnel fails. Upon closer inspection, it looks like traffic from 192.168.1.0/24 destined for 192.168.0.0/24 isn't getting encrypted at all and is being sent to 10.0.0.6 unchanged and as 10.0.0.6 is 'The internet' it's no surprise the packets are being killed...

Thanks in advance for any help / advice!

crypto isakmp policy 1
 authentication pre-share

crypto isakmp key cisco123 address 10.0.0.1

crypto ipsec transform-set CRYPTOSET esp-aes esp-sha-hmac

crypto map CRYPTOMAP 1 ipsec-isakmp 
 set peer 10.0.0.1
 set transform-set CRYPTOSET 
 match address vpnacl

interface GigabitEthernet0/0
 ip address 10.0.0.5 255.255.255.252
 duplex auto
 speed auto
 crypto map CRYPTOMAP

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
 ip address 192.168.1.254 255.255.255.0
 duplex auto
 speed auto

ip default-gateway 10.0.0.6
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.6 

ip access-list extended vpnacl
 permit ip 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 192.168.0.0 0.0.0.255
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,
VPN configuration looks ok. What about the NAT configuration? The VPN traffic could be being translated and therefore not matching the crypto ACL. You should deny traffic to the destination subnet in the NAT ACL, this should be above the permit (traffic to be natted).

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post other side configuration, and tell us how these are connected ? Since we  see Private IP address here brach side ?

Do you have a reachability between these sites ? 

what is the logs shows ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi,

Below is a screenshot of the topology, I'm only using private IP addresses on the 'ISP' side of things as this was a topology that I had already used for another test last year, and I couldn't be bothered to change them, and I don't think that would make much difference for just a proof of concept in a PT session... 

As for the config on the HQ side, it is the same as that of the branch, except for the obvious differences, such as IP addresses, host name, etc...

Also, the branch can get a web page from a web server on the HQ side with the configured dynamic NAT, so I know that both sites have inter-connectivity...

image.png

Thanks,

Hi,
VPN configuration looks ok. What about the NAT configuration? The VPN traffic could be being translated and therefore not matching the crypto ACL. You should deny traffic to the destination subnet in the NAT ACL, this should be above the permit (traffic to be natted).

HTH

Oh lord, Thanks!
That was exactly it, traffic was getting NAT'ed before getting encrypted...
Thanks for the advice!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: