cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Site-to-Site VPN, PIX or VPN Concentrator

dennisbarnes
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to figure out why do we need VPN Concentrator for, we have a requirement where we need to create Site-to-Site VPN for our remote locations, it could be a fat and secure pipe and permanent VPN from central location to remote offices.

I do have PIX 515E is it enough for my requirement or do I need VPN concentrator like Cisco 3000 or something.

2 Replies 2

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi dennis

PIX will do the functionality of a VPN concentrator. No doubt about it. If I have one or two tunnels terminating, I would not buy a seperate VPN box spending huge money... I will use my PIX and finish off my VPN stuffs...

But VPN concentrators are really powerful boxes.. If you have many VPN tunnels, your PIX might take more memory and CPU for this, which might cause a problem for its functionality. Just think in situations where i have 1000 users who will connect on remote vpn.. VPN concentrators are best suited for remote access VPNs. They also have good flexibilities with respect to firewall features of the vpn client, and other security standards like downloadable ACL's, which you cannot do with a PIX. VPN 3000 boxes can support WEB VPN, which the pix doesnt support. by webvpn, you need not have any vpn client at the end user and still connect on vpn through a browser...

so, if the requirement is for less no of tunnels, go for a pix. if there are possibilities of more remote client access, go for a vpn concentrator..

hope this helps.. all the best..

Raj

Thanks Raj.....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: