Views
Helpful
Replies

Static NAT issues

collinks2
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I am having issues with static NAT. I have public subnet that gives me 5 usuable addresses. I used one for my public interface on the Cisco router. I set up dynamic NAT with port overload and it's working very well.

However, I have an internal server which I want Internet users to access. I have configured static NAT use for this command :

Ip NAT inside source static 10.1.1.1 3.3.3.3 extendable  but I can't ping 10.1.1.1 from Internet. Can someone help?

56 Replies 56

ok. i have created another static nat as follows

ip nat inside source static tcp  10.108.14.5 80 165.90.243.13 80

i cant still reach the new host but the iis is opening on 165.90.243.13

let me change the 165.90.243.10 to 165.90.243.14

Hello,

what are you supposed to get ? Not the IIS Welcome screen ?

Hello,

which address are you pinging from the outside ? And which address do you type into your web browser ? Just to be sure, you need to use the public address, not the private one...

I am pinging 10.108.13.11 and 10.108.14.5 respectively.am typing 10.108.13.11 and 10.108.14.5 in the web browsers

Hello,

I have a feeling that this might have been the problem from the very beginning.10.0.0.0 (as well as 172.16.0.0 and 192.168.0.0) addresses are private addresses which are never routed over the Internet. You need to use the public address you configured in your NAT to access the internal resource.

So, if you type 10.108.13.11 or 10.108.14.5, pretty much anybody can use these addresses, the Internet would have no way to know who and where they are used.

Hope that makes sense. Either way, use your public IP addresses and you should be fine...

Hi Georg,

I can access the internal host now with the public ip natted to it.i was using private ip.I know those private ip addresses. Thanks for the help.

I have not still achieved my aim.The internal host is a dns server. I configured a public domain on it.I mapped the ip address of this server machine to 165.90.243.14. I created an internal host which has the FQDN as exp-e.fuoict.fuotuoke.edu.ng. I want this FQDN to be externally resolved. The host name has an ip add-10.108.13.14.

DNS Server ip is 10.108.13.11 which is statically mapped a follows

ip nat inside source static tcp 10.108.13.11 53 165.90.243.14 53

The internet users can ping fuoict.fuotuoke.edu.ng but cant ping exp-e.fuoict.fuotuoke.edu.ng

can you help ?

Hi,

NAT is solved now as I can read.

Doing a quick test, I see that only fuoict.fuotuoke.edu.ng has 165.90.243.14 as type A and this is resolved by your provider DNS,. Then for your exp-e fqdn, you'll need to do the same of configure your DNS as NS server within your provider domain. (hope this is clear)

Take a look on your provider site to verify everything is setup correctly:

ns1.bluehost.com and ns2.bluehost.com

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hello Francis,

its not very clear to me. Are you saying that i should create the host in the provider's domain?I only registered the domain without additional configuration.The host is using a private ip address which is 10.108.13.14.

How do i create this in the providers domain?

i was thinking of assigning theip 165.90.243.14/29 to my dns server so that it will have a public ip address?i dont know if it work

Sorry but you're getting me confused.

What I said is that you can resolve the name fuoict.fuotuoke.edu.ng because there is an entry Type A you've setup (or someone else) on your domain provider tool.

If you want to resolve exp-e.fuoict.fuotuoke.edu.ng, you need to do the same thing or if you want to manage your ow dns entries, then you can change the NS servers in your domain provider page for your domain-name.

It's not because you have a internal DNS server with public IP that all your domain entries are automatically learned. Your provider is responsible for your domain name and you need to configure in their admin page where to go for getting dns entries.

Hope this is more clear

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

ok.its getting clearer now.sorry to ask ? can i create a host entry with private ip address in the provider admin page?I am asking this because i want to deploy MOBILE AND REMOTE ACCESS VIA EXPRESSWAY SERIES. I have already deployed it. am having challenges   with public dns. The host exp-e is 10.108.13.14

the domain fuoict,fuotuoke.edu.ng resolves 165.90.243.14/29.

I believe the public dns wont accept host entries with private ip address

May be if i log into the admin change ,i may find solution

You won't be able to set a private IP in your domain provider admin page. 

Even if they allow you to setup the private IP it won't work as private are not routed on internet..

Thanks

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark add correct answer if this answered your question

Thanks
Francesco

I think i have gotten the clear picture now.thanks for all the help. Please you comment on the next post on vpn issues with andriod phones

You're welcome. 

If I remember I already commented that post but let's move to the other post. When you answered on the other post, I'll notified :-)

Thanks
Francesco

heloo Francis, i understand you very well. That's my area of confusion.what is your best advice on this ?should i use NAT?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: