Views
Helpful
Replies

Support for ChromeOS / Chromebook

Saqib Ali
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings dearest Cisco Engineering,

What are the plans for supporting Cisco AnyConnect on ChromeOS / Chromebooks? Google recently released an API for VPN support on ChromeOS:

https://developer.chrome.com/apps/vpnProvider

Thanks! :)

15 Replies 15

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Currently you can only use ChromeOS clients to connect to a clientless (browser-based) SSL VPN.

There are no plans that I'm aware of to introduce a ChromeOS-specific AnyConnect client.

With growing number of enterprises adopting Chrome OS, I think Cisco should work on a AnyConnect client that is compatible with ChromeOS

There is growth in Chromebook adoption, true. However the latest number I have seen indicates about 4 million of the approximately 300 million "PCs" shipped this year will be Chromebooks.

That puts the platform down around 1% of the market. Added to that, they are primarily used to access cloud-based or in-house web servers. When you take that into account, the use case for client-based VPN shrinks even further.

Thanks for the rating anyhow. :)

While the current market share for ChromeOS may be minimal, I think with all the security breaches making the news, more and more organizations will be interested using Chrome OS coupled with VMware Horizon, VMware vCloud, Citrix XenApp or Citrix XenDesktop etc. for more secured computing experience. 

I really hate when software manufacturers give this answer.  In this particular case it annoys me for two reasons:

1) I understand that businesses are resource-constrained and have to focus their efforts into certain areas.  That said, answers like this fail to take into account how much more of the market that could represent, if companies would spend a little time and energy supporting another platform.  Chromebook might move beyond 1% of the market, particularly in enterprise environments, if people could use it to sign on to the VPN (in more than just a web SSL fashion).

2) When you boil it all down, Chrome O/S is just Linux with some "Google polish."  Which means, realistically speaking, you already have an AnyConnect client that will run on Chrome O/S, it just needs a, more than likely, very small amount of work to integrate it into the UI that is used and whatever certification process has to take place with Google.  This is highlighted by the fact that there are "work-arounds" out there to get the Linux-based AnyConnect client running on Chrome O/S.

Since Google provides VPN APIs for Chrome OS it is actually much more easier to develop a VPN client for Chrome OS than for other operating systems.

Saqib

Hello,

I understand your position based on your apparent statistics.  However, as I've installed Chrome OS and Debian over two of my Windows laptops, your quoted sales statistics will not reflect my choices.  I feel this will skew your statistics as not all Chrome OS machines will require retail licensing.

I've chosen these operating systems over Windows as they are easier to manage Linux servers and Cisco devices from *nix based systems.  Please reconsider your position regarding Chrome OS.

I don't work for Cisco and am just offering my own informed opinion as a 20-year customer and my observations of the marketplace as I see it.

That's great that you're happy with Chrome OS and I'm sure it meets many use cases just fine. That hasn't yet changed the fact of its very small mass market adoption.

jhaemer01
Level 1
Level 1

I have two chromebooks. I use them as both appliances and thin clients. They're feather-light, instant-on, secure, and cost about $200 apiece (Acer C720 & Acer 13). When I want a "real" computer for personal use, I use the browser to launch a VM in the cloud with GCE or AWS.

Nice boxes.

Right now, there are two things I can't do with my chromebooks that I wish I could:

1. play my Amazon Audible audiobooks, and
  2. log into my corporate VPN.

When I talked to Amazon a couple of days ago, they said they're working on a solution for (1). That leaves Cisco as the lone holdout. :-)

P.S.

I'm amused that I left the ratings as 0 stars, and something/someone has now changed it to 5 stars. Must be performance evaluation time at Cisco. :-)

Well, that was quick!

Amazon now lets me play Audible audiobooks on my Chromebook.

Sweet. The only thing left that I want to do that I can't is use a Cisco VPN.

$219, 13" screen, default resolution 1920x1080, 13 hours of use on a single battery charge, 2-day delivery from Amazon Prime, 3.3 lbs. I'm liking it. Well, except for using it as a thin client to talk to a Cisco VPN. :-)

Peter Davis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco now has an early adopter preview available for Google Chrome OS

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cisco-anyconnect/jacdijibdjifphcecdielmekkmfdpgee 

TAC support is not provided for this preview, please send questions/feedback to ac-mobile-feedback@cisco.com.

Just tried this and it works!  The last barrier for me to travel with only my chrome book is gone!  No more lugging two computers on every trip.  My life just got much better.

Thank you!

I also tried it out, works perfectly for me on my Toshiba Chromebook 2.  I like how it builds it natively into the VPN settings so its easy to flip on and off.  I use RSA keys to access VPN and just generate a code on my cell phone and viola I'm in.  Thank you for porting the app over Cisco!

Now only if there was RSA Token app for ChromeOS.... Too much to ask? Hope springs eternal......

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: