Views
Helpful
Replies

Two IPSEC to work in active/standby mode

isbou1986
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community,

I have to configure two IPSec tunnels on a cisco 4221 router, each tunnel should be established with a different router but the two tunnels should work in active/standby mode, how can I do this please?

Topology is as below.

ipsecha.png

8 Replies 8

you must config
in R1 under IPSec map
set peer R2
set peer R3 

in R2 and R3 you must config 
set route <-reverse-route

this make R1 know the LAN behind R2 and R3 only when the IPSec tunnel is establish, and hence the R1 have two peer it will try R2 then if not response it will try R3. 

Hi MHM, 

Thanks for your reply, could you please provide me some sample configuration?

@isbou1986 use FlexVPN. Several options, use a dynamic routing protocol and establish an adjacency to both routers, then set a priority to prefer one tunnel over the other. The other option is to use the FlexVPN client configuration, this specifies a primary VPN, if that fails it will utilise the next router and establish a tunnel. Example here.

The first option using a routing protocol is the fastest at failing over, as the VPN is already established.

Hi Rob,

This solution look complicated for me as I'm a beginner , could you please help with simple solution that can work perfectly?

@isbou1986 what configuration do you already have?

Here is the example of the FlexVPN client I was referring to, where the list called "Flex_Client" defines the active and standby peer IP addresses used for failover.

SPOKE

crypto ikev2 keyring Flex_key
peer Spokes
address 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0
pre-shared-key local cisco
pre-shared-key remote cisco

crypto ikev2 profile Flex_IKEv2
match identity remote address 0.0.0.0
authentication remote pre-share
authentication local pre-share
keyring local Flex_key

crypto ikev2 dpd 30 5 on-demand

crypto ikev2 client flexvpn Flex_Client
peer 1 1.1.1.1
peer 2 2.2.2.1
client connect Tunnel1

crypto ipsec transform-set IKEv2 esp-gcm
mode transport

crypto ipsec profile default
set ikev2-profile Flex_IKEv2

interface Tunnel1
description FlexVPN tunnel
ip address negotiated
ip mtu 1400
ip tcp adjust-mss 1360
tunnel source Ethernet0/0
tunnel destination dynamic
tunnel path-mtu-discovery
tunnel protection ipsec profile default  

@Rob Ingram 

Hi, 

I don't have any configuration, they are new routers, but what is important here is the configuration on R1, because R2 and R3 belong to another organization with whom I should make secure connexion. I should have two VPN on R1 that will work as one master and one standby.

The VPN peers have different IP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: