cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two RV042 VPN setup

John10Yes
Level 1
Level 1

We are a small business in Indiana and have someone in Idaho connected to us via VPN that does freelance graphic design for us.  She is currently connected to us via a VPN on two Linksys WRV54g routers but our connection is dropped constantly.  I have read online this seems to be a problem so I have purchased 2 RV042 routers to do this since people seem to be much happier with them.  Is there some documentation that will walk me through setting this up?  I will probably want to set them up to be the internet router for the two locations as well (right now in Indiana we have a separate router for that purpose).  We would like to see each other both ways.  She also uses our server as her DNS server since she is in our domain.  Does this make sense?  I know enough to get myself in trouble on this!  Thanks

9 Replies 9

labellepeter
Level 1
Level 1

have you figured this out. if not I can

provid the answer.

Peter Labelle

I am trying to figure it out.  I have both of them hooked up in my office here in Indiana trying to work through a paper I found.  Not sure how to tell if it is working or not and then what changes to make when I send it to Idaho.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks,

labellepeter
Level 1
Level 1

There are two ways to do this. one is Gateway to Gateway. This uses two RV042 Router praferably with static or reserved IP addresses on both ends.

The second is Client to Gateway this uses one RV042 Router and the built in Microsoft VPN Client. This requires one static or reservered IP on your end.     Best way to test this is build it between two internet connections like work and home or if you have two internet connections at work.

If you chose VPN Gateway to Gateway

1. add a new tunnel
  2. give the tunnel a name like "business name city name"
  3. chose the LAN port to use WAN1
  4. next is local group setup.
  5. I use IP Only
  6. the router WAN ip address is there and greyed out. take note of this IP
  7. Local Security Group Type SUBNET
  8. enter your internal IP segmant. (if you are using 192.168.1.1 then enter 192.168.1.0
  9. enter subnet 255.255.255.0
  10. Remote group setup is next.
  11. again IP only
  12. enter Her WAN IP address
  13. Choose Subnet
  14. then enter her internal IP segmant. note it has to be different then yours. (if you are using 192.168.2.1 enter 192.168.2.0)
  15. Ike with preshared
  16. Group 1
  17. DES
  18. MD5
  19. 28800 and so on
  20. Enter the pre shared key and take not of it

Look at page 36    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv042/admin/guide/RV042_V10_UG_C-WEB.pdf

Now do the same thing on the other router just revers the local and remote security groups. it is important that the two router are on different Ip segments.

if you have any question just ask.

Peter Labelle

labellepeter
Level 1
Level 1

Have you gotten this to work now? you should be able to ping from one one side of the lan to the other lan

Peter

Sorry Peter, I just was your post asking if it worked.  I guess the one telling me you had an answer got spammed or something.

I will give it a try and let you know.  Thanks

One more thing.  We are doing gateway to gateway because I have two routers.  Thanks

labellepeter
Level 1
Level 1

There are two ways to do this. one is Gateway to Gateway. This uses two RV042 Router praferably with static or reserved IP addresses on both ends.

The second is Client to Gateway this uses one RV042 Router and the built in Microsoft VPN Client. This requires one static or reservered IP on your end.     Best way to test this is build it between two internet connections like work and home or if you have two internet connections at work.

If you chose VPN Gateway to Gateway

1. add a new tunnel
  2. give the tunnel a name like "business name city name"
  3. chose the LAN port to use WAN1
  4. next is local group setup.
  5. I use IP Only
  6. the router WAN ip address is there and greyed out. take note of this IP
  7. Local Security Group Type SUBNET
  8. enter your internal IP segmant. (if you are using 192.168.1.1 then enter 192.168.1.0
  9. enter subnet 255.255.255.0
  10. Remote group setup is next.
  11. again IP only
  12. enter Her WAN IP address
  13. Choose Subnet
  14. then enter her internal IP segmant. note it has to be different then yours. (if you are using 192.168.2.1 enter 192.168.2.0)
  15. Ike with preshared
  16. Group 1
  17. DES
  18. MD5
  19. 28800 and so on
  20. Enter the pre shared key and take not of it

Look at page 36    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv042/admin/guide/RV042_V10_UG_C-WEB.pdf

Now do the same thing on the other router just revers the local and remote security groups. it is important that the two router are on different Ip segments.

if you have any question just ask.

Peter Labelle

Peter, I think I have both routers set up correctly.  I did it all in my office.  My cable modem has extra static IP addresses so I am getting different WAN IP addresses on both routers.  Anyway, when I run the VPN test it says it is connected.  I then disconnected that and tried pinging. This is what is going on:

1.  I have two computers, one attached to each of the routers which are in turn directly attached to the cable modem.  I will call them computer A which is connected to router A etc.

2. I am able to ping router B using computer A but not the other way around.  When I try to ping A from B it isays the host is unreachable.

3.  I am not able to ping computer B from computer A.  Should I be able to?

4.  Router A is running DHCP but B is not.  That is because when I ship router A to Idaho it will need to do that for her,  Here in Indiana where B  will be staying, DHCP is handled by our server.

I have to admit that I don't really understand what a VPN is supposed to do.  I assumed it should act just like it was on our physical internal network.  That is I should be able to browse the shares of the computer that is in Idaho and vice versa.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, John

Hey John,

Computer A should be able to ping router B. Check the firewall settings on your router. There might be a security feature that blocks ping requests on the WAN.

Comuter A should also be able to ping computer B. Computer B's firewall settings may also be interfering with the ping requests.

A VPN is supposed to allow a remote host or remote network to connect to a local network and use the local resources securely through the Internet. This is accomplished by using different authentication and encryption protocols to protect packets while traveling through the Internet.

This is condensed description of what VPNs do. I hope this helps some.

Alex

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: