Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN and fixup protocol smtp 25

mark.johnson
Level 1
Level 1

yet another VPN question..sorry!

I have a site-to-site VPN running between 2 515E's, everything's working great.....but I have to turn off the mail-guard feature on both PIX's if I want the 2 exchange servers to send email to one another.

is there anyway I can turn this feature back on and still allow the exchange servers to send email?

thanks

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

we've got several sites with mail-guard disabled, and so far there's no drama.

just wondering why would you like to enable it again.

View solution in original post

pwicks
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrade your 515e's to Version 7 of the Pix software. This versrion of the software has inspections for Exchange's Extended Simple Mail Transport Protocol (ESMTP) communication.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet0900aecd80225ae1.html

We disabled mail guard here as well. It was done to allow some of the blocked commands to work, such as Auth and Starttls. Prior to disabling it, our systems guys ensured us they can restrict access to the mail commands on the server side. So far no issues. Unfortunately, if you need the additional commands the only way to get them is to disable mailguard.

4 Replies 4

jackko
Level 7
Level 7

we've got several sites with mail-guard disabled, and so far there's no drama.

just wondering why would you like to enable it again.

We disabled mail guard here as well. It was done to allow some of the blocked commands to work, such as Auth and Starttls. Prior to disabling it, our systems guys ensured us they can restrict access to the mail commands on the server side. So far no issues. Unfortunately, if you need the additional commands the only way to get them is to disable mailguard.

pwicks
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrade your 515e's to Version 7 of the Pix software. This versrion of the software has inspections for Exchange's Extended Simple Mail Transport Protocol (ESMTP) communication.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet0900aecd80225ae1.html

thanks for the reply chap's

I thought I might be better if mailguard was turned on (added protection and wotnot)

I'm looking at upgrading to ver7 in the next couple of months.

again thanks for your help

--mark