Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN and how it works

dram gram
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, that's the way I'm supposed  work of vpn
1step. I have a pc with vpn programm on it that enscryptes data and then send it on router

2step then Router will sent my data on vpn server and through this server i do connect to the sites i am interesting for

Is that correct version of how does vpn works?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

kunvaddh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dram, 

Your description is correct flow, but I want to clarify that VPN encrypted traffic and send it via tunnel only. It means you need to establish VPN session tunnel between both two ends (yr server  & router).

Further information, i would like to share as the following: 

A virtual private network, or VPN, is an encrypted connection over the Internet from a device to a network. The encrypted connection helps ensure that sensitive data is safely transmitted. It prevents unauthorized people from eavesdropping on the traffic and allows the user to conduct work remotely.  VPN technology is widely used in corporate environments.

Businesses can use a VPN to securely connect remote offices and remote users using cost-effective, third-party Internet access, instead of expensive, dedicated WAN links or long-distance remote dial links.

The two types of encrypted VPNs are:

• Site-to-Site IPsec VPN: This alternative to Frame Relay or leased-line WANs allows businesses to extend network resources to branch offices, home offices, and business partner sites.
  • Remote-Access VPN: This extends almost any data, voice, or video application to the remote desktop, emulating the main office desktop. A remote-access VPN may be deployed using SSL VPN, IPsec or both, depending on deployment requirements.

For your reference please check

https://www.cisco.com/c/en_uk/solutions/security/vpn.html

Kind regards, 

Kunvaddh

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

kunvaddh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Dram, 

Your description is correct flow, but I want to clarify that VPN encrypted traffic and send it via tunnel only. It means you need to establish VPN session tunnel between both two ends (yr server  & router).

Further information, i would like to share as the following: 

A virtual private network, or VPN, is an encrypted connection over the Internet from a device to a network. The encrypted connection helps ensure that sensitive data is safely transmitted. It prevents unauthorized people from eavesdropping on the traffic and allows the user to conduct work remotely.  VPN technology is widely used in corporate environments.

Businesses can use a VPN to securely connect remote offices and remote users using cost-effective, third-party Internet access, instead of expensive, dedicated WAN links or long-distance remote dial links.

The two types of encrypted VPNs are:

• Site-to-Site IPsec VPN: This alternative to Frame Relay or leased-line WANs allows businesses to extend network resources to branch offices, home offices, and business partner sites.
  • Remote-Access VPN: This extends almost any data, voice, or video application to the remote desktop, emulating the main office desktop. A remote-access VPN may be deployed using SSL VPN, IPsec or both, depending on deployment requirements.

For your reference please check

https://www.cisco.com/c/en_uk/solutions/security/vpn.html

Kind regards, 

Kunvaddh

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you forgot an important part: authentication. which basically checks if the user is allowed to connect to the VPN or not.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.