cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client Does Not Prompt for Username/Password

ChrisMiddaugh
Level 1
Level 1

I imported a client's pcf file into Cisco VPN Client version 5.0.07.0290.  When I attempt to connect, it says, "Contacting the security gateway at x.x.x.x..." and eventually times out.

Shouldn't it first prompt for username and password?  This is exactly what happens on a colleague's computer and it works fine.  How do I specify my username and password with my VPN client?

Thank you.

-Chris

3 Replies 3

Nelson Rodrigues
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does the client PC  have connectivity  to the VPN appliance (ASA, VPN3000, IOS,etc)?

-Can you ping it?

-Is any FW on PC blocking IKE ports?

The authentication prompts will come after the PC and VPN appliance establish the "IKE handhake" if you will.

Nelson Rodrigues
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does the client PC  have connectivity  to the VPN appliance (ASA, VPN3000, IOS,etc)?

-Can you ping it?

-Is any FW on PC blocking IKE ports?

The authentication prompts will come after the PC and VPN appliance establish the "IKE handhake" if you will.

BTW, here is a troubleshooting tech note you may refer too:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_tech_note09186a00807e0aca.shtml#solunf

Hi Nelson,

Thanks for the response.

I am able to ping it. I'm not sure about a FW.  Windows FW is disabled but that's not to say that there's another out there.

The log shows the following but I assume it's just a timeout message:

1      13:00:35.878  05/19/11  Sev=Warning/3    IKE/0xA3000058
Received malformed message or negotiation no longer active (message id: 0xD6321A34)

I will study the tech note you mentioned.

Thanks again.

-Chris