cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN Client dropped connections - need help

d-garnett
Level 3
Level 3

we have 3 users in a remote office current connected to the Internet via DSL (Linksys Router).

all machines are NAT'ed out to 1 Global IP when they traverse the Internet.

All 3 PC's connect to the internal network via VPN 3005 concentrator.

all 3 PC's currently have Cisco VPN Client software installed. The problem is 1 client can connect successfully, but when the next client attempts to connect, the first one gets bumped off (loses) their VPN session. Is it possible to have 2 PC's connect to the 3005 concentrator at the same time using one Global IP, or does there have to be a LAN-to-LAN tunnel in place?

*i saw references to VPN passthrough in an earlier post but i am not sure if this is the issue either

4 Replies 4

edadios
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You should use nat transparency to overcome this issue.

You need to enable this feature on the global config under config| system| tunneling protocol | ipsec | nat transparency . And make sure the client also has a check on the box.

For further information on the feature, please refer to the documentation of the vpn3000.

Regards,

elijah.savage
Level 1
Level 1

That is not the real issue the real issue is if you turn this on or not only one will be able to work and that is because the linksys device only supports one ipsec tunnel. So others will get bumped off it is on linksys website and there is no work around.

BruceD.Brown
Level 1
Level 1

Elijiah is correct, there is a problem passing two sessions through the Linksys. You can however get two connections through by setting one pc to use a tcp connection, and the other pc to use a udp connection (set this from the VPN client, under options, properties, the general tab, and enable transparent tunneling, select either tcp or udp) . You may have to add another Linksys to get the 3rd machine connected. (or give each one of them their own Linksys). You may also have to add a rule to your firewall to permit both udp and tcp ports through, but the concentrator can use either type of connection. Hope this helps - Bruce

googliano
Level 1
Level 1

This is not a solution you would probably want but I figured I would throw it out there. Instead of using VPN software clients on all 3 machines, you could purchase 1 VPN hardware client(3002) and with the right model you could have upto 8 pcs connected behind it.